Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help w/strategy in CRP! Map >

Help w/strategy in CRP! Map

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help w/strategy in CRP! Map

Old 10-20-2004, 06:41 PM

Default Help w/strategy in CRP! Map

Just wandering if you guys could help me with this. I've heard people talking about a big buck on this area. My brother saw him. He is massive. What would be the best way to hunt it? The little ditch on the north is what they use to get to the big woods. I really think that the buck lives there though. In the green boxes are crops right by the creek. I'm pretty sure they are beans. The trees are mostly pines and are about 13ft now. There is an open spot in the northwest crp corner that runs all the way down to the creek.(no pine trees just small oak here) Both of the CRP plots are on a hill. The deer run the creek too, and that large hedgerow in the left hand side of the picture has a lot of rubs. No trees big enough for stands, but I do have a tripod. I could build a blind too. What do you guys think? P.S. sorry about the pink paint...Thought it would show up better.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:52 AM

Default RE: Help w/strategy in CRP! Map

Can you please provide more info on the creek? From what I can see it looks pretty big. I've found them to act as a security barrier much in the same way a dirt road will. Deer won't (or prefer) not to cross it unless pushed but won't hesitate if pushed because they can put some distance between themselves and whatever is pushing them rather quickly.

Also what do the pink boxes represent? The orande lines and what is there for you to hunt. Is everything onthe map fair game?
Old 10-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd put that tripod just inside the pines and facing the ditch. The area to the left (hedgerow I believe) looks like bedding. I'd be willing to bet they will travel the ditch from the hedgerow through the edge of the pines a lot.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:33 PM

Everything surrounding it is fair game except on the right hand side, I cant hunt across the road. The entire place is surrounded by crops, with the hedgerow going off to the west, leading into a grass patch along the creek at the end. The CRP is really good cover, I'm pretty sure a lot of deer bed there. There is a waterway that they like to use that comes from the hedgrow into the South lot. The creek is fair size, never gets deeper than the waist, and comes down to about 3 or 4 feet wide in some spots. It is a tile water creek mostly. The crops that are right along the creek have been fed on a lot recently. When they are harvested, I usually see deer right along the edge of the harvested part just making their way to heavier cover. What do you think about rattling or calling of any sort. I used tinks smokin sticks two years ago and had one come right in.