Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Alaska Thread >

Alaska Thread

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Alaska Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 08:17 AM

Default RE: Alaska Thread

ABM - I' l drop you an email on the halibut/SEAK/' bou topic. I' m working away on the halibut supply in between slaying silvers. Unfortunately, the halibut are only available in this area for a little while longer, and then the rod and reel fishing tends to taper off to nothing in a hurry through this coming month. I' ve been doing fairly well, but we recently shipped some south to our daughters in Oregon. (Ran out of room - guess we need a bigger chest freezer.)

Anyway, you' ll be a pretty popular guy in our family! I suppose you could say we' re spoiled, because caribou ranks higher than sheep and moose in this group - right under SE blacktail.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:26 AM

How about this picture??!!!! SeAk and his 11-year old daughter Wendy the day before yesterday with her first-ever Sitka Blacktail deer on her first-ever deer hunting trip. One clean shot from 120 yards--skimmed off the top of the heart and blew out the lungs...deer went down immediately. Someone asked me if she cried after she shot it. No. I believe it was " WOOOO-HOOOO!!!!!!! I got him Daddy!!!" Talk about a proud daddy!! It' s been two days and he' s still glowing!

Old 08-28-2003, 11:27 AM

Unfortunately, I had to resize the picture down quite a bit to meet the 30 kb limit!
Old 08-28-2003, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sweet! SEAK called me this morning to tell me about it. Sounds like they had a great hunt, and they both worked real hard to get that deer! SEAK was still pumped up when he was telling me about it this morning.

Can' t wait to see the rest of the pictures. junogrl, if you e-mail me a couple, I can post them bigger for you.

Phish, was your bou hunt a bust? I was really hoping you' d find a way, but if your still here, that' s not a good sign. Maybe next year? Regardless of halibut or not, I' ll have SEAK go into the freezer at my place in Prudhoe and bring home a box of meat... if he' s going to Juneau next time home that is.
Talk to you soon.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:26 AM

ABM--How' s Vegas? SeAk headed north to work today...so guess what we did on his last day? Give you a hint: it was opening day of duck season. We had a blast...and I killed my first duck! Don' t ask how many times I had to shoot at ducks to finally get one! Too much fun!
Old 09-02-2003, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool, I knew you guys were headed out. How did you guys fare for the day? Any limits reached?

SEAK goes home the day I get in, so we might catch each other before his plane heads out, but it' ll be October before we head out after bou again together.

Are you going to e-mail me the pictures of Wendy and her deer???

Congrats on your first duck, I got my first bow-duck down in Juneau as well. I shot a green winged teal with after our goat hunt a couple of years ago.

Vegas is still Vegas. Lots of folks came to visit over the long weekend, so we pretty much stayed home and went to the pool. I just signed up for a hunters safety course since I have yet to take one, and need it to hunt in Colorado. I' m headed up there on the 10th of October for some elk hunting with my brother and cousin. Gonna take the 30-06 with me this time and try to get one under my belt, and get some meat in the freezer. Next year I' m headed to Oregon to bowhunt elk, hopefully with SEAK along.

My wife is bugging me to go get a whitetail deer too, she found some recipes for them that she wants to try. The things I have to do for her! Now I just gotta figure out when and where to go!
Old 09-02-2003, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jerry,

I am suprised your IBEP card wont suffice if you are going to bowhunt down that way in CO. Was curious if you asked?
Old 09-02-2003, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea Dan, I asked, but this is during the first rifle season, not archery, so I need a general hunting certificate. Sooner or later I' ll need to take the course, like if I want to hunt in the flats again, so I might as well get it out of the way. Not alot to do down here anyway. I got the books today, so off to studying. [:-]

How did your sheep hunt go?
Old 09-03-2003, 01:22 AM

Well, had to log on as VBM is not here to tell the story for me... Got back to work today and couldn' t stand the thought that it was goose season and I was sitting around not doing anything about it. So I called VBM' s alternate Ralph and got him to go along to range and spot birds. Left after work and got in about 2 hours of hunting brfore the 9:33 sunset. Took a Lesser Canada and a Speckled Belly with the bow. Now that is fun!!!

But nothing compared to watching Wendy shoot that deer after hiking for 6 hours and then packing it out for her, which took 7 hours! She is hooked makes a Daddy proud to see his little girl out do her big brother!!!! God I love that kid, she had the greatest time and attitude for the whole day!
Old 09-03-2003, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

You lucky dog! Congrats on the goosers. Two ducks on the 1st and two geese on the second. I hope you took some pics! Wish I could of been there. Ralph will start thinking you are a good shot if you keep getting lucky like this!

Still waiting to get an e-mail from junogrl with the pics of wendy and the deer. I' ll post a larger one once I get them in.

Now stop having fun and get back to work![>:]

Quick Reply: Alaska Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.