Alaska Thread

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Alaska Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Alaska Thread

Nim,

Definatly nice to put a face to the name. For the banquet, I wasnt really xcited or displeased with it. I know my pard had a ruff time....drove the hole way and no seats for his group of 3 and they had pre paid to boot. I am sure Paige will talk to yall about that. She is coming up for our gnaa banquet. A couple of them think I should be nominated for president (of gnaa), if so you might see my lil face around more often. If that does happen I plan on my main focus being that group and getting it back alive and kicking as the heart beat is dying fast there more so then reaching out to any other group for now. I' ll let ya know what happens there. Not to mention this north vs the aba gig. Kind of depressing if you ask me.

I did notice a big lack of stickbow folks at the dinner. There used to be kind of a group of guys that would go, some made it to the nite before, and a couple at the 2 seminars on sat but only a handful of us where there that nite, I did find that odd.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:11 AM
Typical Buck

WELL THAT IS WHY I BUY A WHOLE TABLE AND GET THERE EARLY. BUT I KNOW KAREN, PAIGE AND S.E.AK GAVE UP THEIR SEATS AND MEALS FOR A GROUP OF THREE SO IF IT WAS THEM THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY WHINING. I THINK THERE WERE OTHER SEATS JUST NOT 3 TOGETHER THAT IS UNFORTUNEATE BUT SOME TIME GROUPS HAVE TO BE SPLIT UP...GETTING THERE EARLY ALSO HELPS.
00IT IS ASHAME THAT THERE IS SUCH A PROBLEM BETWEEN FAIRBANKS AND THE ABA. I SURE DON' T HAVE THE ANSWER BUT IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A NORTHERN DIRECTOR FOR THE ABA. IF GNAA IS STRUGGLING THEN HOPRFULLY AS THEY GET THEMSHELVES STRONG AGAIN THE RELATIONSHIP WITH THE ABA WILL IMPROVE. IF WE AREN' T WORKING TOGETHER THEN WE ARE ALL GOING TO SUFFER AS INDIVIDUALS AND AS A SPORT. ARCHERY/ BOWHUNTING IS TOO SMALL OF A GROUP TO BE FIGHTING AMONG OURSELVES.

Old 03-18-2003, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

nope wasnt those 3, they ended up leaving. He is going to talk to Paige about it when they come up.

I dunno a ton about this north vs south problem as I was just coming on as Rob was jumping ship. I did know it was there however. It will be interesting to see what happens between the two in the future. Not to mention the current archery regs out there across the state....only time will tell!

Old 03-18-2003, 03:52 PM

Heck that North vs the South thing has been going on for many years. Likely since the mid 70' s. I don' t have anything against the ABA, infact I think Paige and her mom are great and I see them as the backbone of the ABA, always busting their butt' s to get things done.

On the other hand, I got a call from a ABA director when I worked at Johns. He told me nobody knew anything from the Fairbanks area and that John Sheets was a idiot and if I wanted to really learn anything about bowhunting I need to move to Anchorage. And I was an idiot for disagreeing with him. So ya I dislike this guy (Allot). At this time John was laid up with cancer and just to tell you what kind of person John was, I quit my job and ran his shop full time with no pay for a year while he was out of state getting treatment for his cancer. He did know allot and was the nicest guy around.

I don' t really think it is a North vs South thing. More like a bunch of old farts that could not agree on anything and some of it just trickled down. But from some of the stories I have been told by the Northern old farts it used to be much worse. If people just pay it no mind it will more than likely just go away.[:-]
Old 03-18-2003, 08:22 PM

Lil - Great to see you again at the banquet, sorry to hear about your friends, wish I would have known then, could have tried to help. I was able to get a family of 3 (plus a baby) sat together, as Nim said. Please ask them to go to www.akbowhunters.com and give feed back on the banquet, (I already updated the wed site and put in a feedback page for the banquet) if they can come up with a way to avoid the problem in the future I am all ears!! I think it is an issue that we need to know about as Directors and suggested solutions are appriciated!! Any other suggestions, please let me know, I would love to hear you say " great banquet" next year!!

I think that AKLarge has a point about the " N vs S" thing being old timers not agreeing on anything. However, with new blood being the majority of The ABA Board of Directors, I hope " we" (all alaskan bowhunters) can see the light to get over it and start looking to improve our sport within our state. This is a difficult road when people have such differences of opinion and nobody is willing to work together because of a " I am right and you don' t know anything" attitude, but I think if we all try we CAN work together to improve it for everyone. Looking at this post, I just want to say, I am not pointing fingers at anyone, so please, nobody read anything into it!!

Nim - Leave a sleeping weasel lay!
Old 03-18-2003, 11:22 PM

To Late! Already read something into it before I read the last sentence. But hey I can admit I was wrong for lashing back at a couple old timers just because I felt thats the attitude they showed me. Yep I was wrong and admit it. With that said, if I ever deal with the ABA again I would rather it be the new guys or Paige. No sence rubbing in salt. I also think it is great their is new blood in it, I think it needed it. Don' t know about Golden North, they are going to need some help. Not to many people interested in getting involved in the club anymore, well not as much as there used to be. To much work for to few people.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:31 PM

SE AK - Hey Shovel Jockey, where are you? Are you spending off time down South or are you back here locally on your time off? Did you ever find out anything about the local turkey populations around KF?

Got the new heater ordered for the boat. Running the enginecooling water hoses up to the front of the cabin ought to be interesting. But the heater ought to make it a lot more pleasent while out dragging for early Kings, it may even encourage more help to go along! I' ll probably be all " sissyfied" by the time summer rolls around!
Old 03-19-2003, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tom,

Definatly good to see you again, maybe one of these days we can sit and drink a beer and not be running rampant or being run rampant hehe.

I could recommend something, no more reserving tables and/or only selling x amount of tickets per the seating you have or possibly only reserving so many % of the tables. I think that was his biggest complaint. He prepaid and recieved his tickets before the banquet, did the 360 miles, showed up at 6:30 and supposidly couldnt find a seat. He is gonna get with Paige and hopefully clear it all up. I cant vouch for any of it other then he prepaid for the tickets. We showed up close to that time and the doors where still shut so I kind of wonder about it. We' ll see what happens when those two get together. From me to you I wouldnt loose any sleep over it.

I can tell you this, it was much better then the one I had gone to before. Dave' s gig was good I thought. Thanks for the hard work and all (that goes for yall who put the work into putting it on) but feel for me personally something was missing. I cant put a finger on it. I am hoping I can make the banquet next year....everything is going to depend on work.

As per GNAA, I think you are right Woody. The banquet is Sat, I' ll let you know what happens. I am sitting on a fence for this president gig. Which side I fall is really going to be determined by how this banquet goes and whats said while the nominations are being held. Btw, did I say I had a phone call tonite at 9pm from a buddy who attended a board meeting and said they were " expecting" me to do some kid arrow gig. Showing them how to crest, fletch etc. I sure would have been fun but 3 days aint enuf time for materials when I have 10 dozen arrows that need to be finished by Sat. Sometimes I wonder if the fuse isnt burnt in some of there heads and only at the last minute they decide to say something []

one last thing. I am seeing a pretty big influx of archers in the interior. The ONLY group that is going anywhere is Far North. ABA might want to do some advertising up this way and try and get some of these folks to atleast be aware of why you are there. Many new folks with no direction and I can say at status qo, GNAA isnt helping them.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:28 AM
Typical Buck

LIL HUNTER- FAR NORTH????IS THAT A CLUB UP THERE? I' M GUESSING IT IS ON ONE OF THE BASES. IF SO WHERE ARE THEY LOCATED AND DO YOU HAVE A PHONE NUMBER OR CONTACT POINT??
Old 03-19-2003, 10:59 AM

Lil - If I get you ABA flyers and membership aplications, would you be willing to help out by getting them around Fairbanks? Would love to see the influx of archers having information on who we are and what we are doing. Heck, what I would really like is for the existing archers to recieve information that we are changing and what we are doing!!! I think that there is a large population that dosen' t know we exist or why we exist! Those are the ones I would most like to get information to!!

Phish - I am back to work as of yesterday, went to spend last R&R with the kids. Haven' t found out anything worth knowing about the turkeys around there. The neighbor was all full of information, but then never even saw any when he went out, so, not much good info from there!! []

Quick Reply: Alaska Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.