Big game limits in MT >

Big game limits in MT

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Big game limits in MT

Old 02-07-2006, 03:23 PM

Default Big game limits in MT

What is the limit for residents in Montana for the following big game:
Elk, Whitetail deer, mule deer, and antelope? I know moose is lottery only. What I mean is how many can a resident take for each species in one year?Thanks!
Old 02-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Big game limits in MT

The answer is that it depends.

a Resident can buy OTCone elk tag valid for bull elk and in some hunting districts can purchase a second cow elk tag, These tags do not allow you to hunt in the premier districts ie the Missouri River Breaks, those are by drawing a permit only.

Residents can buy one deer A tag, which is good for 1 buck deer either mule deer or whitetail.In some districts they can buy up to 5 additional whitetail doe tags and apply for additional B mule deer doe tags.

Residents cannot purchase OTC antelope permits for buck antelope those are all by drawing. The exception is that there is a guaranteed "900" tag for bowhunters only,they must still apply for the drawing but it is a guaranteed draw. You are allowed only 1 buck antelope per year, if drawn. In some districts there are OTC doe/fawn antelope tags available.

Nemont
Old 02-09-2006, 02:08 PM

Thanks Nemont!
Old 02-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

Do they have a discounted doe hunt for deer and antelope?
Old 02-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

There are discounted Whitetail doe hunts for residents but they are region specific. For other B tags you have to draw them. There are Resident doe/fawn antelope tags available but lately they have been via a drawing or bought off the left over list.

Nemont
Old 02-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your planning on hunting there a lot RB, the best thing is really study the reg books--they can be a very useful tool. MT has many special management areas all over for different species and just knowing how they all work canincrease your hunting options.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

Nemont has, as usual, provided good answers.

For deer, I could theoretically acquire8 whitetail and one muley doe tag on top of my either sex A tag, thus killing10 deer in a season. This would involve hunting on both the west edge and the east edge of the state, about 500 miles of real estate. Logistics of all this would be a monster.

I've lived here seven years, and my record kill in one year is four deer. That's probably a practical max, and I needed the meat that year. I usually have 2 to 4 legal deer tags in my pocket when a season begins, and I've taken 13 deer total in 7 years. If I really needed to, I could have killed 15-20.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:49 PM

Dirt2,

I thought that MT didn't make distinction between mule deer and WT deer?
Old 02-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

Depends on where you hunt in the state. Much of the state still allows you to take either species with your A tag. B tags are a different story.