Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Federally controlled hunting!!!!! >

Federally controlled hunting!!!!!

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Federally controlled hunting!!!!!

Old 10-03-2002, 10:14 AM

Default RE: Federally controlled hunting!!!!!

I agree with everyone that this Bill is bad news.

Although I don't really see any of the co-sponsers voting no on the Bill I will send my rep (Cantwell -- didn't vote for her) an e-mail anyways.

I will say though that the federal government does not currently only "intervene" in widlife management issues as Slee said, but they manage them. Look at the grizzly bear and wolf. The feds have required the states of Idaho, Montana and Wyoming to take over the management of the wolf (by the end of 2003 I believe) as the populations have grown enough that the species does not warrant federal protection.

The states are saying screw you we didn't want them here in the first place and we don't have the resources to manage them but the feds are making the states take over anyways.

I read an article that said Wyoming wanted to declare the wolve a trophy in some parts of the state and predator in other parts, meaning it could be killed anytime. Feds said no. Its like what in the heck do you want, the state to mange wildlife or the fed. government? Just ticks me off.

With this Bill the federal goverment is talking out both sides of its mouth.

If you guys haven't check out the below link

http://www.outdoorpressroom.com/
Old 10-03-2002, 04:51 PM

blackhawk357 I'm surprised that you thought baucas$ would be on this bill. and lets not forget who voted for registration of our firearms (oh excuse me it just was suipposed to be pistols). i haven't forgot him or his backstabbing ways, some montanan.
larry

larry
Old 10-04-2002, 01:39 AM
Typical Buck

Jedale12, I only posted the letter, I didn't say anything about when the feds are intervening. And did you notice that both of our Senators are on there as co-sponsors. Ain't life in WA grand. I'm not guilty of putting them there, but now we've got to deal with 'em. I sent them both e-mails. I'll be floored if they respond.

Hunt hard, live right, and tell your kids you love 'em!
Old 10-04-2002, 08:05 AM

Isn't it grand living in a liberal state!

Old 10-07-2002, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Blacklab, here is a copy of the letter I sent Maria Cantwell last week. This letter writing stuff isn't hard at all, but it gets the comments to where they will be most effective. If you don't have time to get involved, you can help by sending e-mails.

"I would like to take a moment to thank you for your service to the
state of Washington and to our country. I am contacting you concerning Senate Bill 1655. As a sportsman, I do not agree with the federal government controlling game laws and wildlife management on a broad scale. That should be the job of the state wildlife boilogists and state game and fish departments. While this bill in it's original form is directed at banning hunts within enclosures and on exotic game, it opens the door through the amendment process to allow the federal government to dictate game management throughout the United States. This would undermind the systems that have been functioning fabulously for decades. It also allows the anti-hunting movement to concentrate their funds and efforts on the federal level without having to move state by state, making the process more succeptible to special interest money. Please don't allow the
management of our state to be taken away from our agencies. Vote No on SB1655.

Sincerely,

Robert S. Lee"

Old 10-08-2002, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great letter slee. I wonder if were going to get any responses

Gun controll is using both hands!!!
Old 10-08-2002, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't hold your breath. I figure at most we'll see a response from an assistant thanking us for informing her of our stance. Your generic BS letter. But at least she'll get it.

Old 10-08-2002, 11:37 PM
Typical Buck

UPDATE!!!!!
Looks like if you raise enough hell, politicians listen. Please read. Just remember, it ain't over yet.

Anti-Hunting Legislation Fails to Pass Senate Committee

(Columbus) – Legislation that could have jeopardized wildlife programs across the country by federalizing hunting laws received no action during today’s Senate Judiciary Committee hearing.

Senate Bill 1655, the Captive Exotic Animal Protection Act, purports to ban the hunting of exotic animals in enclosures. An amendment that was planned for the bill contained a backdoor attempt to define “fair chase” in federal law. The move would have introduced a dangerous precedent that ignores diverse hunting cultures existing in various states. It would have also opened the door for the federal government to begin regulating hunting and fishing, the jurisdiction of state governments.

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance and other organizations rallied sportsmen who flooded their Senators with messages opposing Senate Bill 1655. The Alliance issued calls to action and news releases urging hunter involvement. Sportsmen involvement appeared to have stopped the bill, as it saw no action and was not amended during its committee hearing.

Although the bill could still see action, it is unlikely given Congress’ focus on appropriations issues.

“Sportsmen realized the dangers that Senate Bill 1655 presented to the future of hunting,” said U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance President Bud Pidgeon. “They took immediate action on the issue and sent a clear message to their U.S. Senators. Sportsmen let their Senators know that they did not want this threatening legislation to impact their hunting heritage.”

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance protects the rights of hunters, anglers and trappers nationally in the courts, legislatures, at the ballot, in Congress and through public education programs. For more information about the organization, call (614) 888-4868 or visit www.ussportsmen.org.

Old 10-11-2002, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hell that's great news!!! Now if we can hit it with a hammer to keep it from raiseing it's head. Thanks slee.

Gun controll is using both hands!!!