Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Texas Duck Hunting Report

Old 12-08-2003, 10:50 AM

Default Texas Duck Hunting Report

Post here what you have experienced this season so far in Texas (Good or Bad).
Old 12-08-2003, 10:54 AM

Default RE: Texas Duck Hunting Report

I have hunted 3 times in Texas so far. All were morning hunts.
The first was Lake Bardwell. The hunters were medium thickness and the ducks were not. It was very foggy which hurt us. We got 2 teal and saw about 5 total.
The second hunt was South of Stephenville on 11-30. We got 3 northern shovelers. That is all we saw all day.
The third hunt was also south of Stephenville on 12-6. We didn't see a single bird.
I hope everyone else is doing better than we are.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:39 AM

I have also been hunting three times this year. The first day my buddy and I both got our limit (Gadwall, Teal and Shovlers) The second hunt we both got our limit again (Gadwall, Teal and both shot a Mottled). We went this past weekend and this was the first time we both have been "skunked" in two years. Out of 32 hunters in the general vacinity there was only one bird taken and it was a Shovler. I don't know what happened last weekend but it was weird all over the south. I spoke with some buddies of mine that were on Livingston and Conroe this weekend and nobody shot anything there either.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:10 PM

I've had my best season in three years so far! I've put down at least 60 ducks thus far. Most have been ring neck, gadwall, teal and ruddy. Mallards have just started moving in.

I hunt on the collin/hunt line.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:31 PM

I hunt nw of dfw near lake kickapoo and have only set decoys 2 times both time lots of action for a short time early.(not enough hunters in the area to keep them flying) we baggged limits on second morning becase we didnt let em land and leave waiting on other species. Bags included hooded mergansers, mallard, gadwall, gw teal, and buffleheads
Old 12-15-2003, 05:44 AM

I hunted near Ennis on Saturday. There were lots of birds, but they weren't flying. I shot 3 mallards and one hooded merganser. That was all I shot at.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:36 AM

things were pretty slow this weekend.... I would have thought the colder weather would have had some new ducks moving in.

Managed to take 4 birds on Sat. and 3 on Sunday. Mix of mallards and gw teal. They were flying at first light and all action ended by 8:00 am... Birds were buzzing decoys but were very leary.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:09 PM

Well, I hit the eastern coast of Texas this past weekend and it was a little better than last weekend. I shot 4 Gads and 1 Goose. My buddy shot 3 Gad and a BW Teal. This weekend we are headed to Lake Livingston. Good Luck All!