Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Mixed decoy spread question >

Mixed decoy spread question

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Mixed decoy spread question

Old 11-01-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Mixed decoy spread question

We are hunting on the TN river. I have hunted there for 5 years and have only used Mallards and black duck decoys. With a dozen Bluebills. This year we purchased a dozen gadwalls, dozen pintails, and a dozen buffleheads. Along with the 5 dozen mallard and black duck and dozen bluebill decoys we already have. The question is would you just mix all these decoys together or would you put them into groups within the spread. Or what would be the best way to set or mix this spread up. Thanks for any advice in advance.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:53 PM

Default RE: Mixed decoy spread question

I personally would mix them up a bit, with maybe a "mallard group" off by themselves. I'm more of a field hunter though, reserve judgement until a more experienced water hunter responds. Good luck
Old 11-01-2007, 04:07 PM

I use a mixed bag of decoys my self, and my best results come from setting up family groups with a large open hole 15-25 yards in front of the blind where I put my MOJO Mallard for a landing strip. If you go to the DU website, click on decoy tips, and look at the freshwater marsh spread, it is very close to my usual set up.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:31 PM

mix up the puddlers,, set the divers to the outside ina group or 2or along the edge of the main body of dekes
Old 11-03-2007, 09:13 PM

I have always had the best luck with groups within groups, dont mix them all willy nilly but have small "family" groups and loner groups and ducks a little ways out from the flock. i spend alot of time just watching and listening to ducks in the offseason and that best impersonates true to life duck behavior in my opinion.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:29 PM

I had great luck last year with a small spread. I set out a dozen mallard decoys on the right side of the blind, and about 10 teal decoys on the left and leave an empty spot in front of me. I then put a mojo out there about 15 yards out. Plus, it's a lot nicer not having to set up and put away so many decoys!