Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

decoy spread

Old 09-11-2002, 01:51 PM

Default decoy spread

I recently came into a used spinning-wing decoy that i would like to try out. I know there are alot of people who say that the ducks have become wise to these decoys, but there are others who swear by them. I would like to find out for myself. My question is where to put it in my spread? I hunt on smaller marshes and use about two dozen decoys. Any suggestions would be greatly apperciated.

thanks again!!!
Old 09-11-2002, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: decoy spread

leave an opening in front of your blind, keep the deeks off to each side. put the spinner more or less near the middle of the opening. that's where they'll want to land. you may have to make some adjustments for the wind and sun, but in front of you is basically the best place.

pretend your spinner is your only deke, so put your only deke where you want ducks to come in to the approach to land and where it would be the most visible. then imagine you have an extra bonus of 24 more dekes. that's the rest of your spread.

you also want the sun to shine on the wing surfaces, so that it "flashes". they aren't as effective on cloudy days. keep your batteries warm (in your coat) before use. don't get the thing wet. dont assemble it in the water, the little clips have a tendency to get lost. if it has a 3 piece pole, pitch it. get a thicker 1 piece square tubing from a hardware store, 36", about $8. sharpen one end and drop the spinner in the other.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:58 PM

my spinning wing deke is the one that can be placed in the water or on a pole from wonderduck....When the birds start flaring from the deke , i take off the wings and put on the little paddles and place it right on top of the water , it splashes around in a cirle and really draws the birds in
Old 09-20-2002, 05:42 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-21-2002, 04:52 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-29-2002, 01:16 AM
Fork Horn

When they first came out, the ducks would use it to line up on. We would put ours to where the wind would come in from the side of the dekes. The ducks would line up on them and about 15 feet above the water, the wind would roll them upside down. Totally unfair because we could anniliate a ten bird flock. But basically, put the spinners in the center of the LZ.