Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

goose hunting

Old 01-05-2007, 11:23 AM

Default goose hunting

I am starting to get into canada geese hunting. I have only been a few times and love it. I only have a dozen goose shells. What decoyswould you recommend for me to buy. I would like to get a leastthree dozen more shells and about eight floaters. Will this be good enough for right now. I will take any decoy suggestions you have. Also does anyone have any tips for blowing a short reed call. I can't figure it out. I can use a goose flute really good but not a short reed.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:08 PM

Default RE: goose hunting

try and get a few full bodies if you're hunting fields; they really help them seeyour dec'sfrom further distances and make your spread look better. the GHG with the motion stakes will give you some motion too. the big foots are better built though in my opinion.
as far as a short reed goes, i wouldn't even mess with a short reed unless you are calling in migrators and really need to get on them. a flute is still the best sounding goose call, but if you must master the short-reed go get yourself a honker talk DVD by shawn stahl.he goes over everything from begining to expert. also, have someone who know what they are doing tune your call for you; it will make your life much more pleasant.