Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Canada Goose Decoy Spread

Old 12-23-2006, 01:57 PM

Default Canada Goose Decoy Spread

Any suggestions of the best way to set up 5 dozen canada Decoys in a Field? I will be hunting in PA.
-thanks
Old 12-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Spike

Default RE: Canada Goose Decoy Spread

have them facing in the wind making a "J" shape and leving enuff room for geese to land in to the bottom of the J
Old 12-24-2006, 09:11 AM

if you find you flaring birds, try 3 or 4 family groups with 3-4 geese per group. Decoy shy birds that have been hunted sometimes respond better when you have less decoys. I have hunted in a field where the birds want to be by making sure I was completly camoflaged with just a pair of birds out.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:11 AM

I agree and disagree with papabearr. don't face your decoys into the wind. the birds face into the wind when they are getting ready to fly You don't want this
face your birds in all directions make it look like they are just milling around and feeding or resting.
however i do agree with the j pattern although there are several other pattern to try. If the j doesnt' work try another one keep doing that till you get something to work. One key is to camouflage your blind real good so it dissapears. This is the main thing to get the birds in and not flare.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:06 AM

ILLINOIS GEESE POLICE...........REPLY TO YOUR QUESTION ALWAYS PLAY THE WIND YOU REALLY DONT WANT YOUR DECOYS INTO THE WIND PREFERABBLY IF THE WIND IS OUT OF THE SOUTH YOU WANT YOUR SPREAD FACING WEST AND EAST GEESE WILL LAND IN THE SPREAD WITH THE WIND IN THERE FACE.WHEN IT COMES TO NUMBERS OF DECOYS AND HOW YOU SET THE SPREAD IS THE REAL KEY TO SUCCESS.TRIAL AND ERROR IS THE BEST WAY TO TRY ANY FIELD.........DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU IN YOUR AREA AND STICK WITH IT.REMEMBER MAY YOUR CALLS BLOW CRISP YOUR BLINDS WELL CONCEALED AND YOUR SPREAD INTICING.(KILL EM BOYS)...............
Old 01-05-2007, 07:35 PM

All this is interesting. Have used J pattern into wind and in groups of 10-15 with 35 to 40 feet in between groups creating landing zones. Key for me is the distance that i want to shoot. Furthest decoy out at about 35 yards. only back decoys with heads up, balance in feed position. Blind is the key. Have built sectional blind ( 3 man max)7ft long x 4ft wide x 4 ft high with a 2ft hinged topthat sits on 4x7 sections and folds into a peak. Have woven buffalo grass into all panels. Often will add local grass, pea vine orwillows etc for local flavor up here in western Canada. Has worked very well. Shooting Remingtom Hevi shot for max performance. Our shooting group of 4 has averaged 200 Canadas a season for last three years. Only goose hunters understand what a thrill it is to fool these majestic birds!