Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Shooting Advice...

Old 10-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default Shooting Advice...

Hi,

I just started waterfowl hunting recently. On my first trip, I missed most of the ducks I shot at. I did manage to drop 2 ducks, but 2 boxes of shells for 2 ducks did not seem like a very effective ratio to me. So, I have spent some time at the range shooting trap and have gotten my ratio up to probably 60%. I know it can and will get better, but at least it gave me an opportunity to try to figure out what was going on.

On the range I was shooting lead rounds while hunting I was shooting high speed steel (can't remember the specifics aside from Kent loads of size 3 in a 3" cartridge). On the range, one thing I realized was that I led the pidgeon less than I led the ducks that I hunted. I'm thinking it's pretty safe to assume then that when I was hunting I was probably out ahead of most, if not, all the ducks I shot at. I am heading out again this weekend and am going to try to follow something I saw posted on this board earlier... butt - beak - boom. We'll see how it works.

The other thing I found on the range has to do with my situation. I am a stubborn right handed shooter, but am left eye dominant. Many people have told me this is going to be a serious issue for me and that I should switch to left handed shooting. However, I find that my shot patterns better when I shoot with both eyes open than when I shoot with my left eye closed. Also, in a prior life, I played baseball. I never found that being left eye dominant really effected my ability to hit the ball right handed. Is this dominant eye/shooting side more hyped than it needs to be?

Sorry for the longwinded email, but I would be interested in your thoughts as to whether I'm pointed in the right direction or not.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 10-20-2005, 12:38 AM

Default RE: Shooting Advice...

When shooting a shotgun, both eyes should stay open...it gives better depth perseption.I'm also a firm believer in practicing with what you hunt with.....you can't compare 7 1/2 loads with #4 in patterning. Lots of shooters can do good with "light" loads for trap, but would be lost when it comes time to knock a greenhead down.The choke you use also has a large factor in determining how effective your shooting will be.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting Advice...

Swing from behind the bird and remember the 4 B's, Butt, Body, Beak, BOOM

YOu have to keep the swing going though!