Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Advice for Shooting off the Shelf >

Advice for Shooting off the Shelf

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Advice for Shooting off the Shelf

Old 02-18-2006, 02:57 PM

Default Advice for Shooting off the Shelf

A few guys at my archery cllub recommended I put a stick-on flipper on my recurve so I tried it. I shoot instinctively and read that having the arrow closer to the hand helps when shooting this way. It also just didn't seem right to have that piece of metal hanging on my old Wing. Anyway, I put some bear hair on the shelf and built up a spot in-line with the center lline of the grip. My question is whether I need anything else on the inside of the riser. I have a small stick on piece of leather but didnt know if another material would help with accuracy or feather durability, etc. What else are some of you using to shoot off the shelf effectively, and isn't that the way it is supposed to be done traditionally?
Old 02-18-2006, 03:22 PM

Default RE: Advice for Shooting off the Shelf

I usually put a piece of tan skin like from a zebla or even a deer forehead which is short and cushiony
Old 02-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've glued a small, match-stick sized piece of leather across the shelf at the high point so that the arrow only rides on a single point. I put a patch ofself-adhesive velcro (the fuzzy side) over that. When the velcro wears out I put another one on. You may have to raise you nocking point. My arrows fly like darts with the nocking point 3/4" above plumb.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

You're set up fine with the rug rest and leather strike plate. Elevated rests got really popular in the mid-60's, so they are pre-compound and as properly traditional as anything else.I still prefer the shelf though.

I do like shooting off an elevated rest for targets. Just a tad better accuracy at longer distances for a few more points on the score card. On a hunting bow though, nothing is simpler, more durable or less trouble than shooting off the shelf. Well, unless you don't have a shelf and shoot off your knuckle instead. For hunting accuracy, it doesn't really matter whether you split the hair you're looking at or the one next to it. Dead deer is dead deer, with no extra points for hitting exactly where you aim.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:07 PM

Great point! Thanks for the help. I have been a member for a while but only recently got into the traditional side of things. I always appreciate the honest opinions that come from this site. Thanks again.