Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
shooting advice?? >

shooting advice??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting advice??

Old 10-12-2002, 06:11 AM

Default shooting advice??

Hey guys,
I'm a rookie bowhunter. I purchased a bow (alpine) after I took my bowhunters ed. class in the middle of July. The one thing they stressed over and over in the class was practice. I've practiced my butt off the last 2.5 months. It seems as if I can go 5 or 6 practice sessions in a row and have my grouping about the size of a hockey puck. All of the sudden, I'll be all over the place. High/low/left/ right. I'm still in the vitals for the most part during this funk, but they are really inconsistent. Like I said 90 % of the time I'm right there, but I'm really worried about the 10%. I don't understand why it happens. I've analyzed my form,grip, wind, elevation, etc..... I can't pick out anything that changes from one round to the next. Is it like a bad round of golf or something?? As it stands now, my 30 yard pin won't exist for my first year bowhunting (haven't practiced that enough). My 20 yard shot may end up being 10 or 15 yards if I can't be 100% confident. Or are my expectations too high?? I want every arrow to hit a certain hole that I'm looking at on my 3d and I get pissed when I miss a few inches. Any advice???
Old 10-12-2002, 06:34 AM

Default RE: shooting advice??

Check your release? Are you snap shooting? Sometimes when we want to shoot a certain way all the time we begin to overstress areas of form. Inconsistency that you speak of may be in your release? I wouldn't really know without standing next to you but it sounds like you're putting alot of pressure (mentally) on your shooting practice. Good form develops over time, relax and enjoy your shooting time?

Good luck
NFAA Archery Instructor

Sean P. McNierney
Berea, KY