Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need some shooting advice >

Need some shooting advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some shooting advice

Old 01-21-2008, 08:43 PM

Default Need some shooting advice

Not too proud to ask for help, but it seems I have plateued in my shooting. This is the second year I have shot an indoor league and I never get any better. I average about 289/300 then including Xs about 316/360. I get alot of 5s but the lack of Xs is what kills my score.

More than sufficient for hunting, but I hate not improving. I just use my hunting setup, Razortec, Trophy Taker, Cobra Sidewinder, NAP shockblocker. I just switched form a $20 Tru Fire to a Scott Mongoose soI am hoping that will help my cause. I feel my bow is tuned well but the problems lies in my release.

I always come down at the target, try to pause to center it and then release. It seems this is where my problem is. When I pause, I just cant keep it steady right on that X.I shake a little too much. Sometimes I know I'm not on it and I release, like I am too far along in the shot process to turn back, but the longer I hold it there, the worse it gets. How do you target shooters do it? Come down from the top, up from the bottom, hold on, shoot while your pin is moving?

I know its tough without seeing me, but just looking for some general advice on the actual aim and release part.

Thanks guys
Old 01-22-2008, 09:49 PM

Default RE: Need some shooting advice

I believe a key to aiming is to not focus on steadying the pin. Let it float and concentrate only on aiming, and none on releasing. The experts say to just let your subconscious time the pin floating and you will release it at the right time without thought.

Tough to do, but it works. I can visualize many of my best shots on deer, and I know there was never a conscious "now" for the release. Same for practicing on targets. On good days, I don't think and the arrow just finds its way to the spot every time.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need some shooting advice

Kind of sounds like target panic maybe? If so that can be a tough one!