Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Painting decoys

Old 01-09-2002, 10:24 AM

Default Painting decoys

When painting canadian goose deocys. What are the best colors to use? Like for the bvrown and the gray and I would assume a flat black and white.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Painting decoys

spray paint to start, then use model paint for the details. flat finish.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:18 AM

Well I know the colors to use they are mincemeat and deep twighlite. Pittsburg 700 seris flat latex. I got these colors from Carrylite and G&H years ago when I sold my goose blinds. The trick with plastic as I was told is to make sure you have the decoy at or above 8o degrees. The chest color depends on the sub species of honers you are hunting and the time of year thusly tannish to grey. If you want a hoot look at my field decoys on my home page Mutha

Old 02-09-2002, 09:09 PM

go to herters.com. about the middle of the page it says decoy schematics. click that. then go straight to the very bottom of the next page and click click here for more schematics. then at the very bottom of that page are the Canada schematics. i used this diagram for painting my decoys. i just use spray paint.

Edited by - bbburn on 02/13/2002 16:45:43
Old 02-13-2002, 12:16 PM

One of the easiest ways to paint a decoy is to use a paint brush. If you have a small air compresser and a spray paint brush you can paint decoys in no time. I have done four dozen in two night of painting. Also go to a auto body shop and get some Acryleclean(sp) and wipe your decoys down before painting. It really makes the paint stick!!!