Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

painting decoys

Old 08-08-2004, 01:29 PM

Default painting decoys

looking to paint my decoys and would like to know if anyone else has done this and what pictures you have used as a reference.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: painting decoys

Cabelas has a decoy paint kit in decoy accoryes
Old 08-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

i've tried painting my old flambeau dekes with the kit from cabelas.

i was not impressed. i'd just as soon buy new ones for 30 bucks a dozen than repaint old ones, and they will look better than the repainted dekes done from that kit.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:25 AM

I'm with psandhu! Decoys have come way down in price. Around here you can buy a new set for less than the price of the paint and you save a ton of time.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:56 AM

I repaint many of my decoys because I enjoy doing it. I must agree with what has been said about it is not cost effective but I think my repainted ones are colored as good or better than any you will buy with the exception of the Greenhead gear decoys which have a really nice looking paint job. How long they will last I'll report in another year or two. Also one other thing the decoy paint kits vary a lot and many of themshow an incorrect paint color or pattern for painting. I paint from live ducks that I have raised and mix my own paint. You need to treat the plastic with a coat of "Sand free" which you can buy at most body shops. This will make the paint adhere better if you decide to go ahead with the painting.