Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Begginer

Old 12-04-2003, 08:42 PM

Default Begginer

Any good tips for a beggining pheasant hunter. I will be hunting with older, more experienced people but might need some good tips.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:21 PM

Default RE: Begginer

lots of shells, dont be afraid to miss it happens.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

Always make sure it is safe before taking a shot...big roosters can generate a lot of excitement when they flush.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:27 AM

I agree with Seattle, always keep safety as your top priority. That alone should get you invited back. Other than that, don't put to much pressure on yourself, just have a great time. Bird hunting is a lot of fun, and you don't need to harvest a single bird to enjoy it. Listen to the veterans, watch the dogs ... they'll let you know when the birds are going up giving you a chance to prepare, if a dog points ... let the dog's owner control the situation ... and NEVER ... NEVER ..... EVER ..... shoot at or near a man's dog! Let the birds get 8' up at least ... better to let the bird fly away then in your excitement accidently put a shot into a dog.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:18 PM

I have to agree with what MA Jay said - SAFETY FIRST! No bird is worth an injured person or dog.

One rule that I've been asked to follow and now have adopted is that if the gun is parallel with the ground, the bird is too low. Only take the birds that are high enough to shoot UP at. You have more time to point at the bird than you think so don't feel you have to take the shot the second he comes up. Don't shoot the "bouncers" - a bird that might jump and settle back down.

You'll have a great time - and let us know how it goes! It will be a heck of a rush when a rooster jumps up at your feet!
Old 12-14-2003, 08:44 PM

Well, i had a very good hunt. At first I was worried and slow to get a shot off, but i got better and got my limit (2) the first and second which was the last day of the hunt.I had a blast. Thanks for all the tips