Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 recurve for a begginer >

recurve for a begginer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

recurve for a begginer

Old 03-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default recurve for a begginer

i posted this in traditional but i got like 1 post back ......so what would be a good recurve for a begginer?

P.S. please provide links and please post
Old 03-31-2008, 01:59 PM

Default RE: recurve for a begginer

My suggestion would be to get something used, something light, and something cheap... The best place to find that is on ebay. I would start out with 45lbs or less and something over 60 inches... The old bear's, pearsons, etc can be found at very good prices....

If money is no object, I'd still look in that weight and length range but I would look at Black Widow, Morrison, Schafer, Zipper, Border, Blacktail, Ben Lee, ChekMate and many many more.... Search the classifieds at tradgang.com, the leatherwall, etc. Or go to a big trad shoot in your area and look over the used bows for sale....
Old 03-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

My suggestion would be to get something used, something light, and something cheap... The best place to find that is on ebay. I would start out with 45lbs or less and something over 60 inches... The old bear's, pearsons, etc can be found at very good prices....

If money is no object, I'd still look in that weight and length range but I would look at Black Widow, Morrison, Schafer, Zipper, Border, Blacktail, Ben Lee, ChekMate and many many more.... Search the classifieds at tradgang.com, the leatherwall, etc. Or go to a big trad shoot in your area and look over the used bows for sale....
Good Info Double Creek. Weather you start out with a recurve or longbow keep it light when starting out. Try finding a bow in that 40lb to 45lb range. Less pounds mean better form, anchor, release, etc when learning and starting out. Its so much easier learning the basics when you can pull your bow back comfortably. When you get all this down and get your muscles in good shape a guy could then bump up in weight and look for something a little heavier, give it time though! It doesn't happen over night. Allot of the times too your draw length will generally shrink about an inch or so from your draw length with your compound.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok thanks guys......what do you think about the hoyt gamemaster 2
Old 03-31-2008, 02:17 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

Its expensive and if I went that route, I would probably just shoot a compound instead. Thats just my opinion.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

Go to the leatherwall and do a search on it....http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/tf/lw/threadsx2.cfm

I've heard they are hard to get quiet..

If I was looking for a decent priced metal riser bow, I'd look at a Quinn http://www.quinnsarchery.com/quinn's_archery_016.htm