Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

begginer info

Old 02-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default begginer info

I have shot coumpounds for years but am interested in shooting a recurve. My friend gave me a bow. I am clueless so I have a few questions. What types of arrows (carbon,aluminum,wood), feather/vanes,broadheads, and sights do you use? Sorry for the dumb questions but I do not know where to start.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: begginer info

I'm leaning more toward carbons these days. For my trad bows I like GrizzlyStik tapered carbons, and I use feathers only for the trad bows. Broadheads come down to personal taste, but you do want a good cut-on-contact head. I like Magnus Snuffers and G-5 Montecs,and you might get the idea I like 3 blade heads.
As for sights, never used them except on a compound, and I even shoot the compound "instinctively" now, so I can't help there. [&:]
Old 02-25-2008, 03:07 AM
Fork Horn

For your recurve, if you install a elevated rest then you can shoot vanes, but if you shoot off the shelf use feathers. Carbon arrows are in, but for just starting out, use Aluminum if you wish, you will need to match the arrow to the bow, what draw weight is the bow? and what is your draw length with that bow? NOT YOUR COMPOUND they are two different animals. BroadheadsI would use a fixed two to three blade, I wouldn't use any of the expandables. Sights, that is up to you, some install a three to four pin type sight, but most don't use a sight so to say.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:32 AM
bigcountry

Its all about preference. I prefer cedars for some of my bows, and aluminums for others. Alum's are easier to tune than carbons IMO. You have more choices of spine. Also, I require at least 10gr/lb draw, and thats hard to get with most carbons. It can be hard to get with aluminums. And wieght tubes are expensive.

If I go the carbon route with my recurves this year, I am going to try gold tip trad arrows and use thier wieght system to get at least 550gr-600gr.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

bigcountry

CX heritage arrows with 100 gr inserts might get you in the range you want without weight tubes. I just set mine up for a 58# longbow. 125gr point + 100 gr insert & 29" arrow (250) gives me a 582 gr total weight. Flies beautifully.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Cessna Flyer

For your recurve, if you install a elevated rest then you can shoot vanes, but if you shoot off the shelf use feathers. Carbon arrows are in, but for just starting out, use Aluminum if you wish, you will need to match the arrow to the bow, what draw weight is the bow? and what is your draw length with that bow? NOT YOUR COMPOUND they are two different animals. BroadheadsI would use a fixed two to three blade, I wouldn't use any of the expandables. Sights, that is up to you, some install a three to four pin type sight, but most don't use a sight so to say.
thanks for the info guys. I would like to shoot off the shelf. The draw weight is 47 lbs. Not sure how to find my draw lenght for a recurve.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:59 PM

start off with carbon,,5 in feathers,hellical..durable will hold up to the many mistakes,,then consider other materials