Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Woodcock opens today...

Old 10-18-2003, 04:17 AM

Default Woodcock opens today...

In Kentucky and I getting ready to head out. Although I doubt there are any " flight birds" in, I' m sure we will find some residents. This is my favorite time of the year.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:12 AM

Default RE: Woodcock opens today...

Chessie, I wanted to go Saturday, but couldn' t get away. I hunt around Shelby Co. and suprisingly find a few local birds. Where do you hunt? When do you find most of the birds coming through? I see them in here about first of Nov. Did you have any luck? Good to know you,

spotterky
Old 10-21-2003, 10:37 AM

Spotterky,

I hunt the central and north east parts of the state, but will spend some time in northern areas. I usually see the flight-birds aroung the first week of November.

I had a good opener and limited in about 2 hours. Tried a new area on Sunday and a buddy and I each got one.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:28 PM

Hey guys-

I was pheasant hunting Sun. in SOuth Central WIsconsin, and missed my first official woodcock of the season! Dogs locked up, and I was expecting a rooster to go up. Went in to flush, stepped in a hole and fell into the cover as the bird erupted. I then took a goose hunting shot off of my back...humbling. Anyway, have had good luck on ruffies and pheasants so far, ducks and geese have been slow, and now I' ve missed my first woodcock of the year. It must be hunting season.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:39 AM

fellows,

went woodcock hunting yesterday and had a hard time finding good cover. finally had 4 flushes in PERFECT cover, but there are not enough birds to spread into the so-so stuff. i am hunting with a young setter that is a trooper but hasn' t had much exposure to doodles. he basically flushed them, and i sure hope he staunches up as he is exposed to them.
heard from a guy that hunts Ky around elkhorn creek in lexington that is flushing 12 birds an hour and getting easy limits. dont know, could be locals. i was hunting in owen co., ky.
did you hunt this weekend?
Old 10-27-2003, 12:30 PM

Spotterky,

I went out today and my seasoned female found a large covey of quail and 3 woodcock -- which went home with us, in about a 45 minute hunt. She' s a good dog, but even I was surprised to be leaving the field so early. Where about in Owen are you hunting? Are you by a river?
Old 10-29-2003, 06:53 AM

good work Chessie, I' m glad to see that some birds are arriving. It' s also good to know that there are others out there that actually hunt woodcock on purpose.

In Owen C. I have been hunting public land and although there is not a river, there are several creek bottoms with decent cover. Here in Shelby C. I find birds in creek bottoms as well but I see them in thick upland cover as well, including some strange places - corn fields, small patches of immature woods, etc... We are 80 % cropland here, so not much " classic" cover.

Have you found a reliable website or other way to track migrations? I wonder of the birds here are mostly natives.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:38 AM

Spotterky,

There are some migratory birds here -- came in over the weekend, but this high pressure system and its stong south winds put a stop to it. I expect the next cold front to bring the rest of the birds.

I went out with both dogs Wednesday and Thurday and we took 5 birds. I took my young male today and we got three.