Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Pheasant Opens Sat, GSP's 1 day of cycle today! >

Pheasant Opens Sat, GSP's 1 day of cycle today!

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Pheasant Opens Sat, GSP's 1 day of cycle today!

Old 09-26-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Pheasant Opens Sat, GSP's 1 day of cycle today!

My just over 1 year old GSP has started her 1st cycle, I did some quick research today and it seems its going to be about 3 weeks before its over. Im thinking the other dogs on opening day will have somethingelse on their minds besides Pheasants. Anyone out there have a similar experence? I want to have at least 1 litter of pups in a few years so I expect to be going through this more then once.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Spike

Default RE: Pheasant Opens Sat, GSP's 1 day of cycle today!

Your very right.Hunting a female thats 'inseason' isnt the most fun hunting.Your bound to have the boy dogs going out of their way to come and say howdy.Its also very risky as females in season tend to bring out the agressiveness in male dogs and you could have a mess of problems on your hands if a dogfight breaks out.

I suggest you either leave her home until shes over it or try finding a place where you'll be alone,easier said then done I know,.What I've done when my girls are in season is,look for out of the way places to hunt and wait till the end of the day when most of the'gotta be there crack of dawn brush busters' are gone home.

If you dont already,keep your leash in your hunting vest in the cases you think your alone but suddenly see someone with a dog heading your way,put the dog on lead and head out of the area.

Above all keep in mind this is when accidental breedings take place.Yes theres ways of hunting her but to be perfectly honest,you'll be a lot safer and run many less risks by just waiting until its over.Take care,Paul...