Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Grouse Hunting in KY/Habitat >

Grouse Hunting in KY/Habitat

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Grouse Hunting in KY/Habitat

Old 10-30-2003, 07:20 PM

Default Grouse Hunting in KY/Habitat

I' m looking into developing my labs taste in Grouse hunting in Kentucky. I' m not use to these birds (from PA originally) in terms of their fast flight. Can you offer any tips on hunting these birds (habitat/structure) and how do you hit these birds in flight (tipts)
Old 11-01-2003, 08:26 PM

Default RE: Grouse Hunting in KY/Habitat

Hitting grouse is something you acquire with lots of bird hunting and even then its not always easy. I will say this. Grouse shooting is almost 100% instinctive/snap shooting.

As for habitat (in Kentucky), you want to look for secondary growth with plenty of thick edge cover. Pine thickets, blackberry brambles, etc are all areas that can hold grouse. Although birds can be found throughout most of eastern Kentucky, the farther east and south/east you go, the higher the bird numbers. My suggestion would be to go to Michigan or Wisconsin for a few days. Unless you know where there are some pockets of grouse in Kentucky, it may be a long (and dry) learning process for the dogs.