Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

What's your dog?

Old 12-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What's your dog?

I guess what you have posted never had an Irish Setter there? I did not see them anyways..The Irish Setter may be more versitile then you may realize.. The Irish Setters were first hunted without guns. They would crouch down near a bird so that a net could be thrown over the bird and dog. That was in the begining. As guns came into play they were used for birds as well as waterfoul. That's right waterfoul, theyhave been used to hunt for birds as well as hunt ducks.But,i do not hunt ducks by choice.They are a smart dog if under the right trainers and they work as a team with you. A brother to thesetterI own went to Japan for $25,000 at a cost of $3000 to ship.I realize alot is not known about todays Irish Setters by most. But keep an eye out as they are making some great come backs! There has been a lot of work put into restoring the famous Irish Setters and it is slowly starting to show itself once again.In the home they can be unruley if you allow them to be. If brought up right they are great in the house as well. They have in their history been known to get between children and trouble.

For as far as labs not shedding much hair? That is crazy as I had a lab once and as stated for 17 yrs. That lab in fact did shed alot of hair! It was seasonal just like any other dog would be. Do not say it will protect and kill coyotes if you do not let your lab out of your sight. I also grew up with a friend who's father had a short legged lab as well. It was a good hunter butI did not see it as a great hunter at all. As a kid one of the best hunters I had hunted around was a golden retriever and lab cross. It to was long legged though.

BTW sorry to steal the post it wasn't intended, whatI hunt with is the Irish Setter.I know we all like to hunt with the dogs of our choice. So really there is no need to push any type of breed with this topic.. I am bad...[&o]
Old 12-05-2007, 07:05 PM

Want a dog that can do it all AND is easy to train?
Get a Brittany from a reputable breeder. of course I am impartial because I own one, but I looked at many dog breeds and come to the conclusion that I want a dog that:

hunts
swim
retrieves
medium sized (transport easily)
no tail (a biggie in the house)
child/people friendly
good looking (I know that sounds nuts)
easy to groom
not over-bred (sorry lab owners)
NAVDA

Whatever breedyou choose be sure to see the parents and the type of kennel the breeder keeps. That will tell you alot about the quality of the animal you looking to own for the next decade and a half.
AKC goes w/o saying

Old 12-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Typical Buck

FranchiMon
That is one big britt oris myeyes deceiving me?

Everyone has their favorites. There isn't one do-it-all dog that will satify everybody. Fora strictly upland bird hunter like me,I don't want the dog go off on a tangent when crossing rabbit scent.My Llewellin setter suits me. I've hunted behind britts, english pointers, other setters but the desire on this dog out does them all plus she has a good nose. Typical of the breed. Only drawbacks vs. normal setters is the style and they don't run as much.

I've gotten good comments from other hunters. Last weekend, she surprised anotherhunter by pointing in an areawhere their lab and springer already went through. Sure enough, a rooster pops up (30' away) and they shot it. I usually find birds where others have gone through. The only places I won't hunt is when the hunter is running 3 or 4 springers.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Everybody has there opinion.. Most of them are of the dog they currently own.. I am the same way. I love my brittany and wouldn't trade it for anything. I have also owned an english pointer, stuborn but excellent hunter, didn't think I would want anything else after he was gone but I did change breeds again. We have owned and hunted3 brittany spaniels, 1 german shorthair, 1 english pointer and 2 labs. It all comes down to how each individual dog works. 2 out of 3 brittanys were excellent hunters and companions. The other britt was just an ok dog. German shorthair (worse dog we have ever owned), english pointer ( excellent hunter, poor companion), Chocolate lab (excellent companion, ok hunter). I don't know that it is always in the breed from what I have seen. Some dogs of the same breed are good for different things. We owned a Great dane for the last 3 years. He was just supposed to be a companion. Out of 8 pups in the litter he ended up being aggresive to people other than my wife and I. He was the best companion that I have ever owned but ended up having to put him down due to his aggression and biting of other people. All of his brothers and sisters are excellent show dogs with no aggresion. All dogs are different and I guess what it comes down to is you own personal experience and opinion, but either way I couldn't see life without a dog around...
Old 12-06-2007, 08:31 AM

mite - You may want to have your eyes checked.

I guess the pic is decieving..He is 40# and 21.5 inches at the shoulder. Right within specs and solid as a rock.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: FRanchiMon

mite - You may want to have your eyes checked.

I guess the pic is decieving..He is 40# and 21.5 inches at the shoulder. Right within specs and solid as a rock.
i have to agree with mite, THATS BIGGEST BRITTANY I EVER SAW.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

years ago i saw IRISH SETTERS hunt, great dog for birds.

but my favorite is LEWELLIN SETTER ,why, because they are SMALL,not as much hair as ramadon english setter.

but as for all around dog,i still lean towards SMALL LONG LEGGED LAB..

yes, labs shed but mine only does it 1 time a year ,very little hair.
mine is black.
my friends have yellow labs and they said they shed more than mine did.

setters are in my opinion a great bird dog, so are gsp/brittanys,springers/pointers all are fine for BIRDS.
but what happens when you shoot a bird and it flys into swamp or river or lake or wet fields..

will those others DIVE in and bring bird back.
only 1 i saw do it was GSP over years.
of course, we know LAB will do it and retrieve bird to you..

that is dog i am looking for,ALL AROUND DOG.that does it all BUT not as great on birds asSETTER.THAt includes IRISH TOO. trust me, if hair was problem, i would say it.
springers,setters really have hair problem
Old 12-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

FranchiMon
I actually hunted with a friend this season who owns a young little brittany. This one is really small. At one year of age, its probably around 30-35# if even that. I would say if it ever figures out what's its doing in the woods, it will make a great hunter one day. As it is, its more interested in finding mice and chasing sparrows. It did however shown interest in pheasants as it bump a couple but it still needs alot more training and focus.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:38 PM

Here's my boy. Seven year old LLewellin setter. His name is Speck. He's been a great dog for me and my family. He hunts great, is really good with my girls, and not too bad to look at either.

Everyone has a favorite breed dog. Between my dad and I we've just about owned them all. We've had some great ones, and some lousy ones over the years. However, Speck has been one of best we have ever hunted over.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Mite

FranchiMon
I actually hunted with a friend this season who owns a young little brittany. This one is really small. At one year of age, its probably around 30-35# if even that. I would say if it ever figures out what's its doing in the woods, it will make a great hunter one day. As it is, its more interested in finding mice and chasing sparrows. It did however shown interest in pheasants as it bump a couple but it still needs alot more training and focus.
I hear what you're saying...they are quite curious the Brittanys. Break those habits ASAP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.