Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

What's your dog?

Old 11-23-2007, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default What's your dog?

What breed of dog do you use for bird hunting?
Old 11-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Spike

Default RE: What's your dog?

I have a German Shorthiar. We hunt all over Dutchess and Putnam counties (and also over in Orange county) the weeks before and after the bow season.
Here's a picture of Dakota from last year (sorry for the quality):

Old 11-23-2007, 09:29 AM

i hunt with shorthairs they seem to work the best if you train them right then second i would choose a lab their excellent at flushing and finding out dead birds if trained right.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would like to know what is wrong with a nice setter? Looks and all the setters I like best and my favorite to hunt with is a nice old fashion Irish Setter brought back fromthe old daysmy friend..

Old 11-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Chocolate Lab, mainly 'cause I do a little bit of waterfowl hunting besides upland. I would love to have a little Brittany for pheasant hunting though.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt grouse and pheasant (Wild birds only) with Wiley (Springer spaniel). He's my first dog and was easy to train. He has gotten better every year and this fall has really surprised me. I shot one bird a few weeks ago as I was standing on the edge of a cattail swamp. Bird dropped across a strip of cattail, then about 20 yards of open water, and in another thick cattail section. Wiley didn't see him drop and I called him over to me, thenpointed across the open water, and said "Find the bird". I wasn't too confident he'd find him but he swam across the open waterto the far end of the cattail section and I could he him splashing around in there.Thenout he swam with the bird. Then the other day, I knocked one down but he wasn't folding. Wiley was on him so I let him go and followed along. We covered about 400 yards and he found the bird. So I've been really pleased with him. Not the best dog nor probably the best breed of dog but he works for me and has far surpassed how I thought he'd turn out. Wish Icould have oneof every hunting dog as they are all unique in their own ways...

Old 11-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yellow Lab, pics to come soon.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:08 AM

Labs, for ducks.

Eng. Setters and Brittany's for upland. Have had GSP's and EP's before,but they dont have near the "style" of the Setters.

Beagles for trailing deer.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

ironranger,
Spaniels are great for pheasants. Tenacious dogs and very birdy. When I go pheasant hunting (pen raised and using a setter) I'll usually go to places other people have already covered as most pheasants are in the brambles and most dogs won't attempt it except spaniels. So, if I see someone hunting with a spaniel, I'll generally look elsewhere to hunt. The only problem is in open country as keeping the dog within shooting range limits you a bit.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:53 AM

German Shorthair!!!! Great dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.