HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's your dog?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Phil from Maine
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What's your dog?

I guess what you have posted never had an Irish Setter there? I did not see them anyways..The Irish Setter may be more versitile then you may realize.. The Irish Setters were first hunted without guns. They would crouch down near a bird so that a net could be thrown over the bird and dog. That was in the begining. As guns came into play they were used for birds as well as waterfoul. That's right waterfoul, theyhave been used to hunt for birds as well as hunt ducks.But,i do not hunt ducks by choice.They are a smart dog if under the right trainers and they work as a team with you. A brother to thesetterI own went to Japan for $25,000 at a cost of $3000 to ship.I realize alot is not known about todays Irish Setters by most. But keep an eye out as they are making some great come backs! There has been a lot of work put into restoring the famous Irish Setters and it is slowly starting to show itself once again.In the home they can be unruley if you allow them to be. If brought up right they are great in the house as well. They have in their history been known to get between children and trouble.

For as far as labs not shedding much hair? That is crazy as I had a lab once and as stated for 17 yrs. That lab in fact did shed alot of hair! It was seasonal just like any other dog would be. Do not say it will protect and kill coyotes if you do not let your lab out of your sight. I also grew up with a friend who's father had a short legged lab as well. It was a good hunter butI did not see it as a great hunter at all. As a kid one of the best hunters I had hunted around was a golden retriever and lab cross. It to was long legged though.

BTW sorry to steal the post it wasn't intended, whatI hunt with is the Irish Setter.I know we all like to hunt with the dogs of our choice. So really there is no need to push any type of breed with this topic.. I am bad...[&o]