Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Spooky early season birds--help!!! >

Spooky early season birds--help!!!

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Spooky early season birds--help!!!

Old 11-01-2006, 01:32 PM

Default Spooky early season birds--help!!!

I hunt a certain creek quite often surounded by grass and undergrowth with some trees mixed in. I couldn't get any birds up until recently because they had the corn in. There's plenty of birds, but all of them are extremely smart. Last year I shot 4 in this small 10 acre section, but this year they are much harder and flush ahead or hold up very tight. I haven't experienced behavior like this early in the season. They have not been pressured too hard and the only reason I can think of for their behavior is that the tractors and harvesters that frequent there must've made them wise. I seem to be hunting the place correctly and seems like I've tried everything. Do you have any advice? I do have a dog and he hunts well, but that doesn't help with these birds. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:45 PM

Default RE: Spooky early season birds--help!!!

I would hunt slow, slow, slow. Let the dog hunt. Especially when he/she gets even the slightest bit birdy. Just stop and let the dog use it's nose. A lot of times, just you stopping and standing there for a minute or two will make the bird nervous and it will flush.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:57 PM

That's probably good advice.I try to hunt really slow, but it's probably not slow enough. I don't seem to keep up with the dog if I do that, though, because he's a far worker. I think that's the problem because I was hunting a thin property line and the dog got slightly birdy in this one spot.I didn't pay much attention to it and after I got about 40 yards past it a rooster flushed. thanks
Old 11-01-2006, 04:53 PM

I hunt a lot of areas like that and I hunt areas that are big and wide. I have better luck in the large crp fields than I do the areas next to creeks such as filter strips.

The reason being, from what I can figure out, is the coyotes seem to be running the heck out of the these type's of areas.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:02 AM

The only CRP fields around here are next to the creeks like that because they plow everything else.I know there's tons of coyotes around here and foxes because I shot one the other day. That could be the problem also.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

I hunt a certain creek quite often surounded by grass and undergrowth with some trees mixed in. I couldn't get any birds up until recently because they had the corn in. There's plenty of birds, but all of them are extremely smart. Last year I shot 4 in this small 10 acre section, but this year they are much harder and flush ahead or hold up very tight. I haven't experienced behavior like this early in the season. They have not been pressured too hard and the only reason I can think of for their behavior is that the tractors and harvesters that frequent there must've made them wise. I seem to be hunting the place correctly and seems like I've tried everything. Do you have any advice? I do have a dog and he hunts well, but that doesn't help with these birds. Thanks everyone.
you should see these grouse here in pa. after leaves are off..talk about smart,ha..this is why i use M/F choke on my 12 ga. after leaves drop..i also use no.6 shot HIGH BRASS now and put the 7 and 1/2 inch LOW BRASS in only if i am in the real thick brush..i carry diffeent chokes in my pocket also to switch with different areas i hunt..

sometimes i put 7 and 1/2 low brass as first shot and then next 2 are no. 6 shot high brass in my beretta uricka field..most of times you only flush 1 grouse per spot after leaves are off,why i dont know ..leaves on i have flushed 3 at time..