Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Finally got my 2nd and 3rd birds of the season >

Finally got my 2nd and 3rd birds of the season

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Finally got my 2nd and 3rd birds of the season

Old 04-30-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Finally got my 2nd and 3rd birds of the season

This is the first year I have tried turkey hunting. From what everyone says, it is/has been a frustrating year in my neck of the woods.

For a first timer, I'll say so.
I have learned to HATE turkeys!!!!
In a good way of course. I've grown to think of them as an enemy to be able to get close enuff for a shot! It is fun, for sure.

The turkeys in the area I hunt, around Meridian, Mississippi have gotten so skittish this late in the season, that if you yelp, they RUN or FLY!!

Over the past two weeks I have watched 5 or 6 birds out around 100 yards actually jump up and fly away at the first yelp.

Yesterday, I had a different plan. Yelp and carry on for about 5 mins and just sit, freeze and be silent. After about an hour, two Jakes came into the field. About 20 mins later two hens came out and started taking a luxurious dust bath about 40 yards in front of my blind. They started clucking (very softly), cooing and purring. What a set up. What better to have in your setup than a pair of hens talking and carrying on.

About 20 mins later I heard a branch break behind me. Over my right shoulder and about 30 yards away stood a nice gobbler. He was heading straight towards me and the two hens. I knew he would bust me if he walked right next to the stand so I knew I had to shoot asap. I had to get all contorted, shoot left handed and all twisted up. Somehow, I got the bead on his head and let her fly.

Well, when I got my balance back, and my head cleared, I saw the gobbler flopping around and knew I had succeeded. What i couldn't figure out was what all that warm sticky stuff all over my face and shirt was. Then my nose started hurting. Well, let me just say that if you have never shot your 12 gauge, 3 inch mag, left handed and kinda over your right shoulder, and you have a scnoze as big as mine, you WILL bust your nose!!
I bled more than the turkey!!
It was funny as heck though and I laughed all the way home.
Anyway, 10 inch beard, 20 lbs and 1 1/4 inch spurs.

This morning, I used the same tactic. The weather wasn't very good, cloudy, misty and about 65 degrees. Tried early, no luck. Went back out around 2 pm. Yelped, clucked and purred in a bold and loud manner for 2 or 3 mins and then sat quiet and let the decoys sit in the misty rain. After about an hour, I did the same thing, loud yelps, clucks and any other noise I could make. About 3 mins later, I saw a nice gobbler making his way throug a clear cut to my set up. This time, no jakes or hens, just a decent 3 year old bird easing his way into range. Actually a bit far at 40 yards, but he was getting nervous and since it was the last day of the season here, I put the bead on the middle of his neck and let him have it. Dropped him right there. Decent size, 9 1/2 inch beard, 1 and 1 1/4 inch spurs and 19 1/2 lbs.

R
Hank (whose nose is still swelled up!!)
Old 04-30-2005, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Finally got my 2nd and 3rd birds of the season

Conrgats on two fine birds.