HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Spooky early season birds--help!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 08:32 PM
sproulman
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Spooky early season birds--help!!!

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

I hunt a certain creek quite often surounded by grass and undergrowth with some trees mixed in. I couldn't get any birds up until recently because they had the corn in. There's plenty of birds, but all of them are extremely smart. Last year I shot 4 in this small 10 acre section, but this year they are much harder and flush ahead or hold up very tight. I haven't experienced behavior like this early in the season. They have not been pressured too hard and the only reason I can think of for their behavior is that the tractors and harvesters that frequent there must've made them wise. I seem to be hunting the place correctly and seems like I've tried everything. Do you have any advice? I do have a dog and he hunts well, but that doesn't help with these birds. Thanks everyone.
you should see these grouse here in pa. after leaves are off..talk about smart,ha..this is why i use M/F choke on my 12 ga. after leaves drop..i also use no.6 shot HIGH BRASS now and put the 7 and 1/2 inch LOW BRASS in only if i am in the real thick brush..i carry diffeent chokes in my pocket also to switch with different areas i hunt..

sometimes i put 7 and 1/2 low brass as first shot and then next 2 are no. 6 shot high brass in my beretta uricka field..most of times you only flush 1 grouse per spot after leaves are off,why i dont know ..leaves on i have flushed 3 at time..