Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 DO you pick up your shotgun shells >

DO you pick up your shotgun shells

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

DO you pick up your shotgun shells

Old 10-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default DO you pick up your shotgun shells

how many of you pic up you shotgun shells when you are upland game hunting. I for one feel that it is not nesscary to pick you shells when upland game hunting, I am being attacked on another forum for this view what do you guys think
Old 10-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: DO you pick up your shotgun shells

If I think of it when I'm standing over the shot area then Ido or if I see shell casings while walking along I usually do as well as garbage but it's not an unwritten rule. I certainly wouldn't chastise someone for not doing it...
Old 10-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Typical Buck

I think I started doing this when I was in high school. It's presonal preference but I think I picked it up from skeet shooting so much. But, I for one, hate seeing 'litter' in places I hunt. I mean, there's been places where garbage...washers, driers, chairs, cans, etc. (basically old dumping sites) and I can't stand this and I think that's what mostly caused me to do this. My dad doesn't usually pick his empties up but I just feel better for doing so.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:36 AM
Spike

I've always picked up not only my shells, put any trash I might find out there, I like the others on this post just don't like to see trash while I'm out hunting, plus it shows the landowner that you care, and I feel it makes a positive impression. Now my friends and their sons are all doing it. It's something I choose to do, it's up to the individual.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:41 AM

I don't generally pick up my spent shells if I'm hunting upland game in the woods. I always make an attempt to pick them up if I'm hunting a farm that has cows. I don't like to see spent shells on a farm road anyhow.

Most shotguns have Ejectors which propell shells a good distance when the gun is opened after firing. I much prefer EXTRACTORS which only lift the shells up from the chambers and require one to remove the spent shells by hand. I then simply place them in the rear bag of my vest or coat.
Let's face it, how many times in your life have you needed or been able to get off that 3rd shot from a two barrelled gun?
Old 10-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Always and especially if they are AA hulls!
Old 10-06-2006, 08:26 PM

I reload mine so yes I pick them up. I also pick up most other emptiesbecause I consider them litter. I don't pick up paper and pop cans like I should because I just don't have the room in my game vest to do so.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:27 AM

I pick up my spent shells, weither I am hunting public or private land. It is only a real pain in dove season.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:14 AM

I try to pick them up or I'll just put my hand over the ejectors and pocket them before they can fly off. I don't have a dog so if I have marked a downed bird that is in heavy cover I won't if they've hit the ground because I don't want to loose my reference point.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, I always pick them up and here in AZ the hunting regs requires that you remove all spent shotgun shell. I have been askedmore than once by aGame Warden who was checking lic. what type of shells I was shooting and have him ask to see my spent shells. Now he didn't reallyknow how many I had shot but he did take a look around to see if if any were laying around and if I was picking them up.

Quick Reply: DO you pick up your shotgun shells

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.