Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

dove hunting advice

Old 09-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: dove hunting advice

dk, watch your loads for the first couple days, cause they will be flying low and you don't want to blow the feathers off them. After the first couple of days, increase your shot load,cause they will be flyinghigh and erratic.

My 40 acre farm is next to a 500 acre cattle ranch and a couple of days before the season opens they start filling the cattle feed troughs full of grain. I am in the flight path.Thousands of doves fly over my place.

Like has been mentioned, ware camo and stay under cover, cause they can spot you at 100yds. Remember, Lead,Squezze the trigger and Follow thru!

Wish you the best!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

An old hunter taught me this one...Where I hunt dove, there are a lot of sunflowers...get right in the middle of the sunflowers in the middle of the open field and get as low to the ground as you can. They will literally fly and try to land right on top of you! Super easy shots! Anytime I can do this, I do and has produced great results. Last year I limited out every time but once and the wind was blowing 40 to 50 mph that evening in west texas!
Old 09-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I noticed that I hit alot of doves on that quick 2nd shot.

It is almost as if I am thinking too much trying to make that 1st shot count, only to just miss. The follow up 2nd seems to find its mark, as if it was just an instinct shot, without thinking of lead or anything.

Then again, there have been times when I miss all 3. ( actually lots of times, LOL)

Actually I like the times when I empty the gun and have more doves coming in and I can't get the gun loaded back up quick enough. Sure is fun.

So far this year, I've shot 3 boxes of shells and only bagged 10. But I had fun and tht's what counts.