Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

need help on dove hunting

Old 05-19-2004, 05:19 PM

Default need help on dove hunting

Hey guys
I was wondering if you guys could give me some info on dove hunting. We've got plenty of cornfields and soybean fields and plenty of water. I just need info.

Thanx
Old 05-20-2004, 12:42 PM

Default RE: need help on dove hunting

What info do you need? I hunt with a Remington 1100 20 gauge.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:14 PM

i need to know what to use and where is the best to hunt
Old 05-24-2004, 08:28 PM

Well, for starters, use a shot gun with number 7-9 loads. Dove do come to water, but I have been more sucessful shooting them over sunflowers, maize fields and goat weed. Never had much luck hunting them over corn or soybeans.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:15 PM

ok thanks
we have some alf-alfa (I think thats how you spell it) and lots of little ponds to hunt at

Thanks for the info

TAKE-EM
Old 05-26-2004, 03:51 PM

I like to have the farmer leave a little 5x5 area of corn or whatever standing in the corner of the field. It provides a natural blind. Doves also pick up small gravel, which somehow aids in their digestion. With this in mind i have hunted farm roads between fields.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:16 PM

Dove hunting is a pretty big deal in my community. All the neighbors get together and hunt where the doves are at. The birds around here are usually around silage and wheat fields. We also have good luck around the hog lots. Last year they were scattered bad and we accidently happened upon a flyway to a roost that was absolutely hot right before dark. We were spread out in a 30 acre field of fescue and couldn't keep the guns loaded. Our hull-to-bird average wasn't all that good, but we sure had fun throwing lead. Our best spot ever was a silage field with a power line running thru it borderd by a trees and a pond. It is easy to scout for birds by watching the power lines around the fields.

Old 06-09-2004, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dove hunting is great here in ohio, i dont have any land of my own to hunt doves yet it is still all in the works at my uncles property, i.e planting sunflowers, and corn and just making it attractive for these doves. I hunt in public hunting spot at fallsville, and its great opening day, alot of people however there are alot of birds. What you want to do is get some camo, a good seat and a cooler to keep your birds in along with something to drink, because it gets pretty hot here in september. I use my ol 870 rem 12ga with some 7's high brass, with a modified choke. If you see doves on your property then that is a good sign or driving by and see them on a wire above the road chances are theres alot more around. Some people use dove decoys but i dont think you really need em. Bring lots of shells also, you'll need em.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:00 PM

we hunt doves at the sunflowers during the day in the evening they get water before they roost we sit on buckets or a chair in camo and wait there hard to hit sometimes
Old 06-16-2004, 07:07 PM

Hey, we hunt doves over in the eastern part of oregon were i live its a desert an we just hunt em sittin in the sagebrush next to a watering trough weve been with and without dekes it dosent seem to matter. all i can say is bring lots of shells and scout youre spots early, watch the power lines.

Quick Reply: need help on dove hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.