Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Pheasants w/o a dog

Old 11-08-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Pheasants w/o a dog

Anyone hunt pheasants w/o a dog. I know some do, but what type of success do they have and what are the secrets to success?
Old 11-09-2005, 10:31 AM

Default RE: Pheasants w/o a dog

Lots of folks hunt without a dog. You have to be the bird dog and get in the thick stuff yourself. Zigzag alot. Also just stop walking every 30 seconds or so, they sometimes sit tight and let you pass, but if you stop they get nervous and will flush.

Good luck
Old 11-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hunt with a dog owning friend.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Spike

Yah im curious about hunting without a dog.. Any techniques you guys have? I dont have a gundog and the club I plan on hunting charges up the butt for dog handers-jeff
Old 11-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Typical Buck

If there are alot of hunters in your area, go to the extreme edges as they will run away from everyone. Walk-stop combinationalong the hedge rows. Morning and evening hours they are usually in the open or near openings. Morning because of dew. Evening who the hell knows. During the day they usually seek water.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:04 PM

Just walk where you think they may be and zig zag around quite a bit and ive found that after walking a ways if you thrash around in the grass a bit like you tripped or sumin they like to fly then.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

i do it....and agree...you gotalearn to be the dog...walking aimlessly in a field or piece of cover is pretty much useless.....when i first started i hunted with my buddy...his dad....and their awesome dog....hunted state game lands...that are stocked and heavily hunted....also a private farm..that is holdovers/surivivers from the state game lands up the road...and also maybe a few wilds....but not to pressured....so i got to see where the dog found the birds in both trypes of hunting....it helped me alot....and now i can go out without a dog ALONE and put up a bird or 2.....alot harder..alot more walking...but alot more fun.....and you appriciate the birds you get up...
Old 11-15-2005, 06:19 AM

This last weekend in Iowa I saw several peole hunting without a dog. Another approach would be to follow creeks or streams. The birds will tend to run, but any flowing piece of water will turn and sort of double back on itself making a "P" shape. Once the birds run into the "loop" of the "P" they will sit tight and tend to flush easier when you approach. I watched it work once this last weekend so I know it works. Good luck.

Old 11-16-2005, 07:03 PM

i hate hunting without a dog, but when i was little i used to be the dog..... run up to the downed bird and look for feathers .... but sometimes i like trying to be the dog... opening weekend was really dry and windy so the dogs couldnt smell birds 3 ft from them... it was tough..
one time we were hunting uncut milo and we downed and cock, so we surrounded it, and then all of the sudden i see the milo start to wiggle and itw/e it was was moving in my direction, so i got ready incase it was another bird, but it turned and ran down the row about 3 rows away, so i saw it and ran up to it and caught it.... everybody was wondering what the hell i was doing, but at least we got it..
Old 11-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

update.....thursday i killed my first bird hunting solo...without a dog(pretty sure it is)...flushed a few before alone with no dog..one i remember was a nice rooster...came up perfect...out of a nasty nasty ball of jagars about 10x10...scared me when it cameup cackling and flew straight at my face! needless to say he kept flying lol......ive flushed bunches out of season.....but thursday i was out busting NASTY brush around the fields and such...and found someones begal...so i was nice enough to wait a while on the trail till the owner came...figured hed come...10 mins later he showed up..he limited out quickly...the begal ran off and he was near the truck...begal ran back to the fields lol....so he dropped the birds and gun off at the truck and him and his setter went to find the bunny/pheasant huntin begal lol....he told me of a hen he flushed and it landed in a small cornfield......i went after it....flushed it on my second pass but flushed wild and i didnt see it till it was out a little far....i hunt with heavy high velocity loads when i hunt like that....i know they get out quick without a good pointing dog...kept flyin after2 shots....so i pinpointed its landing and set after it...i was in tall yellow grass...its a grain but i cant think of the name...tall thick yellow grass...not wheat...but 2 hens flushed wild again to my left probably 30yds away and flew crossing HIGH...40foot up and 40yds out or farther...no lie....not to toot my own horn but wing shooting and busting clays came VERY naturally to me...dont know why...thats always been something id shine at....they were cruising and in the wind pretty good...first bird i was too far ahead...and too far to follow up...second bird folded perfectly...and i know it was about 40foot high and 40some yards out....it hit the tree tops on the way down....1 1/4oz rem high velocity 6s through a mod choke that holds a nice pattern......my other load is even hotter....1 1/4 oz of 7 1/2s...but loaded to the max...rems also.....i gota find them in 6s....man them are HOT loads...i heard of a pheasant load that does like 1500fps...im getting those suckers next season!...i love a heavy fast load....should have recommended that before...they either hold tight and flush close and scare the crap out of you.....or flush a little more wildly...and can get out there pretty quickly......thats why i like hot lots hunting with no dog....when hunting over my buddies good pointers all we use is standard 1 1/8th oz 7 1/2s....good luck......