Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Colorado/New Mexico Blue Grouse >

Colorado/New Mexico Blue Grouse

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Colorado/New Mexico Blue Grouse

Old 09-25-2002, 08:48 AM

Default Colorado/New Mexico Blue Grouse

Im finding it very tough finding birds this year. Only a few grouse for many hours and a lot of preseason scouting. Any other reports from New Mexico/Colorado would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:39 PM

Default RE: Colorado/New Mexico Blue Grouse

I read in Hunting and Fishing News magazine about grouse near Craig colorado. The guy in the article swears up and down there are abundant grouse in the area. I personaly decided to go back to utah where I was familiar with the territory but, thought I may try these areas soon as we only have until the end of the month here in Colorado before the season ends. Where have you tried in this area? Good luck.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:28 PM
Spike

Well, crap. That's where I usually hunt for Blue Grouse and I didn't go this year due to the drought. Actually there were fires still burning up there when the season opened.

Old 10-09-2002, 06:55 PM

Have you seen any bobwhites this year? I have never hunted them and have seen and heard so much I thought I would give it a try. I am just uncertain where to go as I am unfamiliar with the territory in Colorado. Any help would be appreciated both to me and my dog..
Old 10-09-2002, 11:32 PM
Spike

Although there are a few Bobwhite in Colorado there is not much good hunting availble for them. Mostly along the South Platte NE of Denver. Kansas sometimes has excellent Bobwhite hunting, even on public land. Email me and I'll give you tips on that [email protected] . Colorado has a great variety of birds but not really great hunting for any of them. Probably the best Colorado upland bird hunting is for pheasants and scaled quail. This not counting dove which can be pretty good. Pheasants are in the irrigated cropland of eastern Colorado. Scaled quail are in prairie that has some cover such as better grass, sage, saltbush, yucca and especially cholla cactus. The best scaled quail hunting is in the SE quadrant of the state on private lands. Some of these lands can be accessed if you spend the time to ask permission and develop relationships with landowners. Scalies are my favorite. Some areas of NE Colorado should be decent for pheasants this year although certain areas had the hatch wiped out by hail. If you're a serious bird hunter Nebraska and Kansas are easily accessed from the Front Range and even SD, TX and OK are not too bad a drive. Where did you move here from and what birds have you hunted? Eastern Colorado is in the "rainshadow" of the Rockies and is very arid. The bird population (pheasant and Bobwhite) increases dramatically once you get a short way into KS or NE.

Old 10-18-2002, 05:15 PM

My job moved me from Utah to Centennial, Co. I tried the new walk-in access for pheasants last year, talk about a freeway out there. I did pretty good on the dove hunt this year out in Weld county in a SWA. I am interested in hunting about every bird hunt they have, again my problem is access. Though I am very willing to travel for a good hunt, it would be nice to just go for a day or two.