Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

High Desert Chuckers

Old 10-12-2002, 05:05 PM

Default High Desert Chuckers

After some pre season scouting I have come to realize what I pretty much knew before I left The house. Chucker populations have taken a real beating due to the amount of rainfall we have had this past year Strangely enough the water holes that I have hunted around for many many years are still there but with no rain theres just no feed to be had for whats left of last years bird populations. I`ve still got some looking around to do yet, theres a chance that the birds moved to much higher elevations which is bad news for most hunters in this area because either they dont know where to go or they dont know how to get there or worst of all a lot of those higher elevation hunting spots are closed off by our little buddys at BLM office. Those Bastards!!! Anyways goodluck to all in the never ending , never easy hunt for the elusive Chucker in the 2002 season
SHOOT WELL
Stubbs
Old 10-17-2002, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: High Desert Chuckers

Stubbs I used to live in the Antelope Valley area ,Just out of curiousity where are you hunting . Does the Navy still let you hunt the China Lake area? I have done very good there but its been years ago .
Old 10-17-2002, 09:44 PM

halcon, to my knowledge the navel weapons center has not let people in to hunt in quite a few years with the exception of the burro roundup that they still do when the little buggers get to thick that the missiles wont fly straight anymore!! In regards to where I hunt I hunt most of the time in those steep short canyons north of Mojave all the way to Jawbone Canyon and then zig zag through Kelso valley and shoot them quail at the base of the Piaute Mts and then go for chuckers at the end of kelso before ya drop down into Weldon at a place we call St. Johns Slide. I tend to stay away from red mountain but there has been some very good hunting there in past years.Im not sure what some hunters might think of this practice but believe it or not I used to catch the chuckers crossing the road early in the morning right outside of randsburg while I was in my beer truck making my delieverys. There was more than one call placed to the office reporting a beertruck driving off the road OUT OF CONTROL HA HA those were the days!!!
Old 10-19-2002, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stubbs it sounds like you hunt about the same country I used to hunt .I've hunted from Mt Pinos to Bishop over a period of thirty years. We used to hunt china Lake back in the seventies and it was great hunting then if you were lucky enough to get drawn. They had a drawing you had to apply for . Well lots of luck with your hunting .