Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Blue Grouse

Old 09-04-2002, 12:22 PM

Default Blue Grouse

I am hunting Blue grouse for the first time this year. I have hunted Ruffed grouse all my life but this blue thing is something new.

I was hoping that someone might have some tips or suggestions on what type of cover I should be looking for. I know that they are found pretty high and move higher as the season progresses but any suggestions would definetly help as there sure is a lot of real estate to look at.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2002, 09:44 PM

Default RE: Blue Grouse

Look for benches on the side of hills where they can sit and look out from under trees over a meadow... Look for open meadows with berries,if no berries look where there are lots of insects. We can find them in CO from sage brush on up to timberline, but my best is always just above aspen on the cool side of the hill.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:43 PM

Yeah, Rat. I agree competely with Wolf. If it is anywhere near as dry where you are as it is here in Colorado, water could be a key locator as well (like it will be for elk, too) I've been out twice since the opener on Sunday and haven't seen a single bird in a couple of my favorite spots. I'm going to my best spot this weekend. It's a 3 mile hike up and in, but usually worth it. I have never failed to limit there. If you've never hunted them before, watch out. They may be dumb as hell, but sometimes can surprise you. If you (or your dog) flush a single bird, look out. You may have an entire covey around you. Their primary defense mechanism is to freeze stock-still. On several occasions, I've had birds explode all around me in thick timber as I've gone to retrieve a downed bird. Have fun. They're great eating.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

We got out today and got two blues and a Ruffed grouse . They seem to be at the edge of the big timber and clear cuts around here . Right now we can only hunt in the higher elevations due to the fire danger .They both seem to be in the same type of cover ,that we got into today .
Old 09-15-2002, 12:56 AM
Nontypical Buck