Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Patterning.. didn't or doesn't at all? >

Patterning.. didn't or doesn't at all?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Patterning.. didn't or doesn't at all?

Old 03-29-2005, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default Patterning.. didn't or doesn't at all?

Since it's common to see a boat load of info geared to patterning shotguns, I wondered just how many of us don't bother to pattern at all?

Is it safe to say that's a trait of the uninformed hunter or are their veterans that choose not to test pattern as well?

How many can say that they ever took to the turkey woods a combo that's not been checked on the pattern board? Just curious...
Old 03-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Patterning.. didn't or doesn't at all?

I did once....killed a bird, too. Had to borrow my dads Ithaca 37 because my shotgun got "lost" when my ex wife was moving out of the house. Me thinks she took it.[:@] I got an 870 to replace it and pattern it every year.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

Man, patterning is only half the equation. What about practice! I pattern and then shoot some Pepsi cans in feild situations. I like Pepsi 'cause it has those turley colors and is about the size of a turkey head. Stick 'em on a stick and put them popping up over a log, just beside and behind a tree, in some thicket, and at all different ranges.

I not only trust the pattern, I trust I have squeezed the trigger in whatever situation I might be in.

Not patterning would be a little nerve racking for me. Nerves are bad enough out there
Old 03-30-2005, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

I agree 110% and actually enjoy the patterning process. Along with the side benefit of trigger control / gun handling familiarization. Taking it to a field level scenario like OntElk is the ultimate practice session.

I can recall being a brand new, wanna-be turkey hunter with no one in my family hunted turkeys. I had little to no guidence outside of my own shotgunning, which I pretty much did all on my own as a youth. Seemed like when I was old enough, no one wanted to go.

I took to the woods at 16 with a never before patterned gun. Age 16 was the "legal to go alone" age in PA. Looking back, I'm glad I never got shot, as I suspect a wounded bird may have resulted.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:06 PM

I rarely ever go out and pattern my gun. It's not that I'm lazy or irresponsible, I just don't feel the need to. I shoot the same loads each year out of the same gun using the same choke. I've taken 5 birds in 5 years and only patterned my gun the first year when testing out differen't chokes.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Dominant Buck

If you're using same gun,choke and ammo every year
I don't see any need. If I change choke or ammo, I
would. I try to buy 1/2 a case of ammo that gave me a
good pattern so I'll have the same lot #'s to keep shooting
for a couple of years.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

i pattern and practice each year, as i don't want to miss again! missed one at 10 yards last season because my doctored up 870 wingmaster shoots a slug at that range! tried to get him on run off, but i short-stroked the pump and caught the ejecting shell. time i cleared it, he was over the ridge. [:@] first miss in 12 turkey and 2 coyotei try all the new shot shells that come out and compare them to the ones i shoot now, and would swap if anything beat the Federals i am now shooting, but that would take some doing. best pattern last year , with witnesses!, at a measured 40 yards was 192 shot in 8x11 turkey head target
Old 03-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't pattern much. I use the same shotgun, choke, and ammo as always, so before each season I'll fire one or two shells at 25 and 35 yards each and be done with it. I shoot my shotgun a lot, and I feel pretty confident about my handling.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pattern my gun every year faithfully!!!!! I'm always trying new chokes and different ammo... The turkeys I hunt don't come easy!!! If i miss one I know what to blame it on and it wont be my gun
Old 03-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Mr. Long, It's not the gun , it's the gunner.