Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Patterning help???

Old 02-27-2006, 11:25 AM

Default Patterning help???

Hey guys i need a little help, i went out today and patterned my turkey gun. I was shooting a Benelli Super Black Eagle, Undertaker XXXFull Choke, and Winchester 3 1/2" 2 OZ. 5 shot turkey loads...

At 10 yards it tore a complete hole in the turkeys neck so that no more of the neck was even showing. I really think that if i had a tom that close his head would be GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At 20 yards there was 72 pellets in the kill zone

At 30 yards there was 46 pellets in the kill zone

At 40 yards there was 17 pellets in the kill zone

I was just wondering if this is about average or not? I have been turkey hunting for 5 years and have yet to get a tom in close enough for a kill shot. I have had them at 40 yards but i was not confident enough for the shot. Do you guys think that i should stick to 30 yards or is that enough pellets in the kill zone at 40 to do the trick.

Thanks for any help, i would really appreciate it. I am going to hunt hard this season and see if i can bag one of these stupid birds.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:11 PM

Default RE: Patterning help???

That sounds like a good pattern to me, I wouldn't change a thing at 40 yards that is a smoked bird.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

just curious are you counting all pellets in the head and neck or only the ones in the brain, spine, and other major parts???
Old 02-27-2006, 12:57 PM

I was just counting the pellets that were in the Brain and the Spine. Is that how you are supposed to count them.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: deer-hunter18

I was just counting the pellets that were in the Brain and the Spine. Is that how you are supposed to count them.
yeah that's how you're supposed to do it. alot of people count flesh wounds and stuff like that so it makes it sound like they have a really awesome pattern.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are getting that many shots in the kill zone I wouldn't change a thing. How many times did you shoot?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

d-h18 if that is a true 40 yards(measured) that is a pretty darn good pattern you have there!!!!

How many shots did you fire at 40??? I like to fire at least 4 or 5 to get a good idea... I've patterned loads before were I shot one and got like 15 hits in the vitals at 40 and fired the next shot and only got like 6 then the next was like 8 then the next one was like 6... So the first load was a fluke
Old 02-27-2006, 02:28 PM

As everyone has said, if that is a consistent pattern, that is awesome. As for your 40 yd. question...you can definitely take a turkey @ 40 with that kind of pattern as long as you are confident in your aim. However, the closer the better (within reason, meaning, atleast 10 yds away from you to let your load pattern out a little). If he just seems to hang up at 35-40 and is lookin like he might leave, go ahead and take 'im. Hope that helps and if anyone disagrees, I am in no way an expert and would welcomea rebuttal.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

deer-hunter18,Experts say 3-5 pellets in the brain/spine is the minimum.I am getting similar patterns to you with my 3.5" #4's.Considering there are more pellets with #5's I don't see anything Out of the ordinary.Sounds like a great pattern.I would trust it to 40yds,EASY.You may be able to still get a good pattern at 50,but I honestly wouldn't try a bird with #5's past 50.Not saying that it can't be done,but the pellets have lost alot of their killing power over 50yds.Good luck to you.Hope I helped....There are an average of 340 #5 pellets in a 2oz load.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:30 PM

I get 30 to 35 in the kill zones (brain and spine) at 40 yards with 4x5x7 Nitro Company Hevi-Shot out of a Browning Gold 10ga with a Rhino Choke. Never had to shoot one over 40, but it's good to know I have a leathal weapon at that range. 240 pellets on a HS Strut turkey target at 40 yards. You can't go wrong with Nitro and Rhino!

Quick Reply: Patterning help???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.