Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

patterning my gun

Old 03-28-2006, 03:32 PM

Default patterning my gun

here's the deal. i shot my gun to pattern it with a .660 extended tube and #4's. shoots to the left and low some at 40 yards, but i put about 17-20 bb's in the head, half of which lets say were in the kill zone. i think i need to shoot 5's, according to the guy at carlsons where i bought the choke, that would shhot best. my question is when pattering, have you guys ever seen the pattern move left to right with diffferent shot or chokes??
if i aim to the right a couple inches the pattern on the head is much better.
so aim right or keep trying diffferent rounds/choke tubes???

Old 03-29-2006, 05:42 AM

Default RE: patterning my gun

lope, I have never had the problem of my pattern moving when changing chokes, but when it comes right down to it, nothing suprises me when trying different chokes,etc..
If you have the pattern you want, w/the choke that is shooting other than on center, why not scope the gun? Then make the corrections w/scope adjustments. Just a thought.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:10 AM

Mabe your barrel is bent..lol... hey it happened to my uncle, kept shooting to the right and down, (unscopped) took it in and found out the barrel was bent. (How they figured it out is beyond me.)
Old 03-29-2006, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

This happened to me. A friend explained it had to do with the comb on my gun. It's a field gun Mossberg 500. If you aim (put the bead on the bird) It shoots low. When you lower your cheek to the stock your eye no longer is in line with the barrel. A scope would solve your problem,padding the stock at the comb or as my friend told me"put the bead on the bird(head)and then cover the bird(head) with the barrel. Worked for me yesterday the turkey dropped like a sack. That was a released bird at the club,season hereopens apr 10. hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Happened to me before. I fixed it by putting on some adjustable truglo rifle sights and adjusting them till my pattern was dead on.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:05 AM

scopes are illegal in wa. state so that's out, but i've been looking into truglows...
thanks for the input. is 16-20 bb's in thhe head enough?? from what i've seen i think so.
thanks again and good luck this year

Old 03-29-2006, 04:44 PM

This actually happened today. Ive been shootin flightcontrol 5's and 6's 3in and set my scope for that.....put in a 3.5 in. in the gun and shoots about 3inches left every time.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Jackelope
is 16-20 bb's in thhe head enough?? from what i've seen i think so.
Only one, right between the eyeswill do it...LOL. Yep, 16-20 bb is plenty to take that bird's head off. We shot one last year with #4 shots and what we check the birds heads there were only 5-6 that hit the head but one hit between the eyes and I think that's the one that did it..... You should be fine.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:29 PM

cool. i got a bud who has a slip on deal that has different spacers to slide over the stock to raise comb height...gonna try that too. the guy at carlsons said i should shoot 5's through that .660 tube so i will try that this weekend too.. thanks for all the input.
good luck

Old 03-29-2006, 05:36 PM

I too had this problem out of my mossberg 500. I was using a truglo choke and it would shhot to the right. I switched to an HS Undertaker and it is a night and day difference. At 30 yrds I was averaging only 10 to 15 pellets in the kill zone but the center of the shot was still to the right. The new choke put 32 pellets in the kill zone at 30 yrds. I was using the same shell with both chokes. Good luck