Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Hevi-shot and a full choke- >

Hevi-shot and a full choke-

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hevi-shot and a full choke-

Old 03-29-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Hevi-shot and a full choke-

I have heard that hevi-shot will pattern well with a full choke. I shoot an 835. Where can I find a full choke capable of shooting hevi-shot...do they make an extended full choke or are we talking just a regular flush mounted, full choke. Thanks guys.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:04 PM

Default RE: Hevi-shot and a full choke-

I would not shoot hevi-shot through a standard full choke tube. You can get any number of brands that are the extended type at Bass Pro or Cabela's. I picked a HS Strut Undertaker HS at Gander Mountain. Just make sure that they say for Hevi-shot use on them.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:33 PM

I've been using HS with no problems. When it first came out there was a lot of concern that it would damage barrels, but that been proven to be not true. The link is to HeviShot FAQ, it should help you.

http://www.hevishot.com/faq.html
Old 03-29-2005, 01:13 PM

Right now in my 835, I am shooting a Briley Hevi-shot choke with a .675 constriction. I get a pretty good pattern with around 20 hits in the vitals at 40 yards. The choke is clearly much tighter than the diameter of the barrel, even by looking at it. What I am saying is that I have heard that a less constrictive choke like a full, will throw better patterns with hevi-shot than a tighter turkey choke like my Briley or an Undertaker. Has anyone else heard this or tried it?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

I have heard that about the 835's too. They have a larger ID than your basic 12 gauge, much like the Browning BPS I shoot. I read that they tend to like a more open choke due to the increased bore diameter, BUT, have found that I get my best results with Hevi-shot through a .665 tube.

I've tried turkey chokes ranging from .655, .660, .670, 675, and the stock .695, with the .660 and .665 being the top performers with the Hevi-shot. Specifically #6 shot in their 1 7/8 ounce load, 3 1/2" shells.

The .660 and .665 tubes were almost identical, both were devastating, but the .665 was a tad bit more uniform at 40 yards. 30 yard patterns were just plain NASTY.

Pick a choke that's rated for Hevi-shot and you'll be good to go. I've shot chokes from Kicks, Hastings, (they are not Hevi-approved), as well as Star Dot, (2) Tru-glos, (one by Bansner - the Strut Stopper), and the stock offering. My gun seems to prefer the non-ported chokes, but that could just be due to barrel harmonics.

Look over at www.nitrocompany.com for what they found works best with your gun. Even though I'm not shooting their Nitro Hevi's, (since I'm too cheap mainly), I have found their predictions on choke constriction per gun to hold true with the Remington Hevi-shot loads as well.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

One more place to look is http://www.hevishot.com/home.html under the FAQ section. They list a couple choke makers that are fully approved for use with Hevi-shot.