Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What Choke for Hevi-Shot? >

What Choke for Hevi-Shot?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What Choke for Hevi-Shot?

Old 04-27-2004, 08:19 PM

Default What Choke for Hevi-Shot?

I shoot a Benelli Super Black Eagle - and I'm not happy with their stock chokes. What chokes have you all had good luck with when using Hevi-Shot?
Old 04-27-2004, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What Choke for Hevi-Shot?

H.S. Strut Undertaker
Old 04-27-2004, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the TruGlo Strut Stopper. I think it's pretty good. I killed one at 55 yards with it.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

A .660 ported Rhino is awesome from my 870 shooting the Nitro-Hevishot #5's.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:22 AM

They say you should use a choke designed for steel shot when using it with hevi-shot, any experience with that, anyone?
Old 04-28-2004, 09:23 AM

That's what I've read too, Chuck. Hevi-Shot's website says not to use hevi-shot in any choke tube not designed for steel shot. M.A.D. products "Super-Max" choke tubes say that they are designed for use with Hevi-Shot. I was hoping to get some info on others.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:36 AM

I use remingtons super full turkey choke in my 11-87 sps that is designed for shooting hevi-shot, steel, or lead. They also make a super full that is only for lead, so if you go looking for this make sure u get the other one. I'm comfortable shooting out to 50yds with the pattern on this set-up. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:49 PM

arffslug, I too shoot a SBE, and when I bought my gun, the guy sold me either an x-full or xx-Full browning choke to go with my gun(i cant remember). Im not sure what the diameter is, but with Win HV Supreme # 6, I have killed 2 birds at 53, 54 steps, and numerous ones between 35-45 yards. Knock on wood, I havent missed yet. No scope, no after factory sights. Im pretty satisfied with my set up!
Old 04-28-2004, 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: arffslug

That's what I've read too, Chuck. Hevi-Shot's website says not to use hevi-shot in any choke tube not designed for steel shot. M.A.D. products "Super-Max" choke tubes say that they are designed for use with Hevi-Shot. I was hoping to get some info on others.

I purchased the SuperMax last year and shoot it on my Rem 870 Super Mag. I personally think it shoots like a rifle. I consistently get 100% on my pattern in a 30" circle at 40 yards, and around 82 top 84% of the pellets are in the 10" circle. I am shooting Rem Hevi-Shot HV 3 1/2" #6's. I get the same performance from the same load in 3" as well. The SuperMax has been the best turkey hunting investment I have ever made.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: arffslug

I shoot a Benelli Super Black Eagle - and I'm not happy with their stock chokes. What chokes have you all had good luck with when using Hevi-Shot?
Why not contact them (Benelli® & Hevi-Shot®) and see what they recommend?

Quick Reply: What Choke for Hevi-Shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.