Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 DO you need a special choke for hevi-shot? >

DO you need a special choke for hevi-shot?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

DO you need a special choke for hevi-shot?

Old 01-17-2005, 04:48 PM

Default DO you need a special choke for hevi-shot?

I have a comp-n-choke XX full in my 835 and was wanting to try some rem hevi-shot or winchester's new loads that are 10% denser than lead. Would this hurt my choke, or do i need a new one before shooting these loads?
Old 01-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: DO you need a special choke for hevi-shot?

I would use a choke approved for Hevi-Shot, also most of the times you will get a better pattern by not having quite as tight of a choke as you would for lead shot.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Dominant Buck

I had the same problem with my Benelli SBE. I was told that to use Hevi Shot you need a special choke so I bought a Rhino ported choke made for Nitro amo. Funny thing about it is that my regular loads pattern better with the Rhino choke.Go figure.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:50 PM

There are many tubes that you should NOT try Hevi-Shot in as they will split or burst. Factory Rem Hevi-Shot CAN be restricted to much. Typically you want to stay with the lighter of the loads offered unless you have a more open choke. Also if you use your factory full or turkey tube make sure it doesnt say "lead shot only" or "no steel" if it does then do NOT put Hevi-Shot thru it. Hevi-Shot is a mixture of Tungsten Iron, Steel and Nickel so its VERY hard. Likewise it will also score a barrel if you shoot enough of it or really try to overchoke it.

But those problems are NOT existant with Nitro Hevi-Shot as Ray uses a different shot cup and his proprietary shot coating prevents scoring. And perhaps even better it allows you to shoot HEAVY loads of it, much more than you would with Rems Hevi-Shot. My 870 SuperMag shot the lighter HeviShot (1 5/8oz vs 1 3/4oz) much better thru my old 3 rowed (3 rows of ports vs the standard 2 now) TruGlo. The heavier load would donut ring. But with Nitro's I can shoot the 2 1/4oz TriPlex 4,5&7 Hevi-Shot with DEVASTATING results. My birds in MO lastyear were 50 and 64yds exactly!

I just dusted off an old 835 of mine and am fixin to "Rhinoize" it and get some of Ray's special 835 loads. ANY rope toter within 80yds is in DANGEROUS territory this year!!!
RA
Old 01-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would check with the choke manufacturer first. A lot of time the websites will tell you if a choke is HS approved or not as well.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:49 PM

who is this ray guy you are talking about. Is nitro a brand of ammo he makes... sorry I am a little confused.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, Ray is with Nitro Ammo Co. here is his website address.

http://www.nitrocompany.com/
Old 01-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

[:@] i dont know what to do [:@] sell or return my 60 dollar choke (kicksgobblingthunder) or buy new shells i have hevi shot and killed a bird 40-50yds with it but ppl said itll make ur pattern 2 tight
should i experment more with diff shells or buy a new tube ??
Old 01-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

What size restriction do you have on that Kick's choke? If it's a .665, try those Winchester 3" HV 1 3/4oz of #5's. They seem to pattern best with a .665 choke. Kicks isn't a cheap choke tube by any means, but that Rhino tube will run you almost $85.00!![:-]