Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What choke for hevi-shot? >

What choke for hevi-shot?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What choke for hevi-shot?

Old 02-23-2003, 01:57 AM

Default What choke for hevi-shot?

I have read here about the Nitro loads using hevi-shot, that most are really
impressed with the pattern' s but what choke is best for use with either the
Nitro loads or Remington loads? Are the Nitro loads better than the Remington
loads? I use a Reminton 870 SP Mag. and would like to try the hevi shot this
season. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:10 AM

Default RE: What choke for hevi-shot?

I don' t have an answer to your question about which choke to use or not, but, I am guessing that this " Hevi-Shot" is a steel replacement for which I do not have much use for in the turkey woods. I have heard mixed reviews on the use and cost of these steel replacement loads, whether it is worth the price or not. Waterfowlers sometimes buy into the fact that it makes for better kills in the field, building a false sense of confidence that later may and has led to trigger more long range, lower percentage shots being taken, instead of sound range judgement. I personally have seen 2 of my buddies taking 75 yard shots at passing waterfowl on the Missouri River, getting lucky enough to drop the last bird of a 6 bird flock, then admitting that they were leading the front bird by a great distance, then, giving me slack for not shooting at all.

I know that some of these loads may have greater velocity, knock down power, ect., but I think we are getting to an age of replacing common sense with the all mighty dollar and advertising campaigns.

If the load you are speaking of gives the person using it better patterns when the right choke is in place, good, use it, I say to each their own. I just hope it doesn' t turn many of us into " Quigley' s" with a shotgun.

Just my opinion....I could be wrong.........
Old 02-23-2003, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the Nitro Co. recommends the Rhino choke, you can e-mail them from their web-site and they will be able to tell you which choke seems to pattern the best from your gun. I think Remington recommends chokes made for steel shot only. I asked Nitro about damaging my barrel or choke and they said their shot is coated to prevent damage.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

I emailed Kicks Ind. about using hevi-shot with their Kicks .665 choke tube. They didn' t recomend doing it, it could damage the tube and barrel. They suggested their High Flyer (used for waterfowl) tube made for steel shot. I think I' m going to just stick with what I' ve been using all these years, a regular turkey load. BTY, well put R3!
Old 02-23-2003, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well i like the hevi Shot. I use a .665 in my gun. I love the way it patterns in my Rem. Were i hunt you are not going to get a shot much past 40 yards any how....
Old 02-23-2003, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

I get better patterns using a plain full choke than I could with lead out of a .665 choke. I use the remington shells. The choke used when hevishot dominated the still target competition was .675.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:21 PM

i recently used the remington extended tube for hevishot. i think it is .675. it did out perform the winchester hv #6' s shot through a mad maxx (.655). i intend to experiment some more but do believe now that i will be using hevishot come this season.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nitro does recommend the Rhino choke for their loads of hevi shot. I am very impressed with the Nitro loads combined with the Rhino choke, both on paper testing and actual performance in the field. I think they have done their homework and came up with an excellent product.

If I' m not mistaken, Remington introduced a special hevishot choke tube when using their brand of hevishot.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:05 PM

NO MATTER WHAT LOAD YOU END UP USING GO WITH THE RHINO CHOKE FOR YOUR 870. IT WILL OUT PERFRORM ANYTHING ON THE MARKET. THE NITRO LOADS ARE THE BEST! THE HEAVY SHOT LOADS ARE GREATAT DISTANCES 30 YARDS AND GREATER. BUT THE WINCHESTER SUPREME LOADS ARE JUST AS GOOD AS HEAVY SHOT AT 30 YARDS AND IN. ALSO, I WOULD NOT SPEND THE MONEY DIFFERECE BETWEEN A WINCHESTER SUPREME SHELL AND A REMINGTON HEAVY SHOT SHELL. BALLISTIC EXPERTS AT RHIMO AND NITRO SAID YOU WOULD BE WASTING YOUR MONEY!
Old 02-25-2003, 01:50 AM

Thanks for the responses guy' s. I guess I need to look at a Rhino choke and
some Nitro ammo. I know it will cost me some $$$ but I think it will be worth
it. Thanks again.