Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

FL WMA trip report

Old 03-28-2005, 01:22 PM

Default FL WMA trip report

Day one (Sat. 3/19):
My two oldest boys work a hot gobbler off the roost, and have him coming in on a string. Unbeknownst to them, as they are calling in the gobbling bird, some yahoo crawls in between them and the bird and kills it as it comes by him.

I had given them instructions not to get into any confrontations with anyone else, so they just grin and bear it. I'd have given the guy a piece of my mind... The bird was a good one though, with 1.25" spurs.

Day two (Mon. 3/21):
My brother and his boy get on a gobbling bird that won't come past the thick stuff.

Day three:
Brother and his boy again work the same bird, with the same result. We get together in the evening and devise a plan to get him out in the open. He's obviously a subordinate.

Day four:
Foiled by heavy rains, lightening and high winds. The subordinate bird my brother has been working has left the area.

We left the woods early to check on our camp since we feared tarps and tents might be blown down.

Can't find a place anywhere that hasn't had hunters in there already.

Day five:
No gobbles, but so far we've probably seen 50 hens, most of them in fairly large groups. All the other hunters we run into also complain about the lack of gobbling and non-responsiveness of the birds.

We finally roost a bird this evening -- the first one of the low-gobbling trip.

Day six (Fri. 3/25):
Roosted bird doesn't gobble in the morning. No gobbles heard by anyone.

We find a setting hen with 10 eggs.

So, we pack up and leave -- skunked. The first family trip ever without a bird.

But the boys are already talking about where we will go next year. And we've still got the NC season and a UT trip ahead of us.

Hal
Old 03-28-2005, 01:36 PM

Default RE: FL WMA trip report

Ouch, that sounds like everyday run of the mill hunting for me down here. Lost my tom on the opener last two years to someone else.

Really, sorry to hear that you all didn't connect and get that Osceola but, I applaude you on your insite to your sons and their saftey.

Good luck on the rest of your multi state season. You weren't at Green Swamp over this time period? Sure sounds like what I went through too.[:@]
Old 03-28-2005, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to my world
Old 03-28-2005, 02:32 PM

DHF, I was next door in Richloam. They issue way too many permits for the quota hunt. If they cut it in half, it would be about right.

Hal
Old 03-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go!!!
Old 03-29-2005, 06:29 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-29-2005, 02:06 PM

Hawg I agree with you. Had people crawling all over me. Meet a really nice older fella on the opener. He got the the point of entry after I did and asked where I would be, becuse he only wanted to go in about 100 yards max. I told him I was planing on going steep and deep. Head off down the trail and I see 2 more head lights on my tail. After a mile they break off and I keep going. Set up and then have the late arrivials walk in on my set up then decide to move about 50 yards away and grow roots.[:@]

Oh well, it's public land and I just want a shot/chance. Still had a great time. Would love to get into richlohm next year.

Really liked the information I got about GS West. Plan on applying again for next year. This time I'll make sure that I don't have to work.[:@][:@][:@]