Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

BroadHeads

Old 02-03-2005, 09:07 AM

Default BroadHeads

So i am already gettin excited and ready for my first turkey bow hunt...even though it is April 13-17. Still along ways off, but i have a question..

For a broadhead...
I looked at cabelas website and some others and found a huge head....like a 4 inch diameter....is that really necessay?

Secondly i looked at an adder point....they say it goes behind a field point. I guess my question is, is that good enough?

Or should i just be shooting the same broadheads i use for deer hunting?

A lot of confusion but worth it in the end...or so i hope!!!

Thanks
Old 02-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: BroadHeads

I like the Rocket Sledgehammer,any large dia. head will work.Some use a washer or adder behind the head. The idea is to expend all of the arrows energy in/on the bird,you don't want pass thrus,helps in putting him down quicker. I aim for a spot between the top of drumstick and wing butt from the side or center mass of body from front or rear,rear being preferred. I think the one you saw may be the guiotine?? made for head shots only,blades are thin but looks like it would wind plane to me. Be forewarned,YES it is worth it,you may not want to take the gun again.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:49 PM

Yeah, I thought about trying the gobbler guillotine. But I thought it would plane also. You can see the video of it on http://www.arrow-dynamic-solutions.com/ I also read about it in Bowhunter magazine, and it said something like they plane or are only accurate up to 20 yards(although I realize this is as far as most bow shots are taken). I'm going to try the gobbler getters, the 3 blade mechanical broadhead by NAP.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spitfire Gobbler Getters are the way to go.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with everyone above. I haven't shot the gulliotine, so I can't say good or bad about it. The Gobbler Getters, though, I do shoot and they are pretty impressive. They are the only head that I have that shoots EXACTLY the same as my fieldtips. I get real good groups with them. Now, one thing I will say is that if you are planning on using a shoot-through blind, the Gobbler Getters probably aren't your best choice. In that case, I'd use a regular fixed blade with an adder behind it. Don't use the adder behind a fieldpoint, as that is not legal in most states and isn't a good idea.

Good luck on your hunt and let us know how you did!!

Slice
Old 02-25-2005, 06:58 AM

bull moose,

since you are on the DB staff, you may be able to answer the question. can you shoot through the DB netting (T2) with the gobbler getter? i plan to shoot out of a window, but just checking on the netting.

WM
Old 02-25-2005, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Widow Maker
You cant shoot through the netting with them. But when you are turkey hunting with the Double Bull. You dont need to worry about the black holes. Good luck
Old 03-07-2005, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

I was looking at the gobbler guillotine, but when I added it up, 3 arrows/heads would be upwards of $70. Is it really worth that amount of money?

-Rick C.