Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New to Turkey Hunting

Old 02-26-2005, 09:27 AM

Default New to Turkey Hunting

Hi guys,

I'm new to hunting altogether and I think I'm going to start turkey hunting this spring and then deer hunting this fall. One of my friends dad's has been hunting since he was my age (14), and he said he can show me alot about whitetail hunting but nothing really about turkey hunting. He says he never went turkey hunting because it didnt appeal to him, so I need some help. If anyone has any tips or tactics they use when tukey hunting, they would be greatly appreciated. I read alot about turkey hunting on websites but I thought I'd ask you guys for any further tips. I will be using a compound bow made by Fred Bear with a 40-pound draw weight and I'm thinking of buying some carbon arrows with those Gobbler Guillotine broadheads if I can find them. I havent purchased any camo yet so tips on that would be good to. Thanks!!!

Mike
Old 02-26-2005, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: New to Turkey Hunting

First don't and I say Don't go Putt Putt its a danger signal to the other turkeys.

I made that mistake last year ( My first time turkey hunting )

If you are useing a bow you need a good blind or build a blind to cover the movement

when drawing the bow.

Rent and watch as much turkey hunting shows as possible.

Get more than one type of turkey calls.

Each hunt is different and every turkey is different.

One day they will respond to a box and the nnext day it will be a slate or in the same day

they will respond to a different call.

And wear all camo it does matter I know from experince ( Last Year )

If you can go with a experenced turkey hunter.

Good Luck
Old 02-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck chasing after them with a bow
Old 02-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to turkey hunting! I noticed in your post that you said you were "thinking of buying some carbon arrows and some gobbler guilotines." I take this to mean you haven't practiced with this set up yet. I don't mean to be harsh here, but a turkeys vitals are very small and it takes a lot of practice to be able to consistantly hit a target of that size. Also, taking a turkey with the bow is a pretty big task for any hunter, not just a new hunter. If at all possible, I would suggest taking a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun to start with. Like I said, I'm not trying to be negative and I hope you don't take it that way.

Next, I would try hooking up with an experienced hunter in your area. I would check to see if the National Wild Turkey Federation had a local chapter in your area. If so, I'd try to contact some of their members and tell them how you are new to turkey hunting and need some guidance. Turkey hunters are a very kind and generous lot. I'm sure someone in a local chapter would love to help you out and maybe even take you along on a hunt or two. The local chapter may also be putting on JAKES event for youths. These are great and are free to youths. You can pick up alot of good info at these events.

Good luck, and remember to be patient and good things will come to you!

Slice
Old 02-28-2005, 04:41 AM

Most Important, Scope the woods out for signs of turkeys, Before season opens.....You dont need a Really expensive Gun, I shoot a mossberg Ultra mag, Knock them Dead at 40 yrd Using Winchester Supreme turkey loads #5 shot......Use decoys !!!!!! 1 feeding hen, 1 looking hen & A must a Bubba jake..... Put jake 20 yrds or less Faceing you !! & hens off around 25 to 30 yards looking other way, This is Important ....My 1st mistake ......When a gobbler flys down Dont over called him........Read Read Read about turkeys & there habits, where they feed & like to eat, Most gobblers During breeding season, Dont care to Eat, first thing...There horny & want HEN ...1st Time out Dont wait for the monster Tom to walk by you & say ( shoot me ) it wont happen...Turkey hunting compared to Deer hunting, I'll take turkeys, Both Turkey & deer, there vision Is based on movement But one thing a turkey cant do that a deer can... Smell you ....Oh Practise your calls, At home, In the Truck, at work, Walking, practice practice practice.....Good luck, Aim true & knock them off there feet!!!!

Ray
Old 02-28-2005, 06:10 PM

Hi again,

I dont think you're being harsh at all SLICENDICE, but i just wanted to let you know that i have practiced with carbon arrows and regular broadheads and field points both, i just havent used the Gobbler Guillotines yet. At about 10 yards I can him a 2x2 inch area consistenly with regular broadheads, so the bigger broadheads are an added bonus after some hard practice. I just dont own carbon arrows, because I only use alluminum arrows at home, and borrow some whe ni got to a range.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:12 PM

Also, I'd love to use a 20 gauge, but I cant hunt alone with a gun until I'm 15 in Ontario, and my dads not up to getting a gun and hunting licence!!!
Old 03-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

I was looking at the gobbler guillotine, but when I added it up, 3 arrows/heads would be upwards of $70. Is it really worth that amount of money?

-Rick C.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Impossible

Hi guys,

I'm new to hunting altogether and I think I'm going to start turkey hunting this spring and then deer hunting this fall. One of my friends dad's has been hunting since he was my age (14), and he said he can show me alot about whitetail hunting but nothing really about turkey hunting. He says he never went turkey hunting because it didnt appeal to him, so I need some help. If anyone has any tips or tactics they use when tukey hunting, they would be greatly appreciated. I read alot about turkey hunting on websites but I thought I'd ask you guys for any further tips. I will be using a compound bow made by Fred Bear with a 40-pound draw weight and I'm thinking of buying some carbon arrows with those Gobbler Guillotine broadheads if I can find them. I havent purchased any camo yet so tips on that would be good to. Thanks!!!

Mike

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! Quit now before you get in to deep!!!!!!!! It's just another bad, money sucking hobby!!!!!!!! Getting up at 3:30, driving an hour to your spot while half asleep, stumbling through the dark eating spider webs, flushing the birds off the roost, not getting any birds to answer your calls, loosing your calls, getting rained.....I mean thunderstormed on, forgetting your decoys in the woods, the heat, the sweat, the bugs, the allergies, doing it all again the next day with no sleep after having a couple beers with the guys the nite before............and you wanna take a bow!?!?? Hey, the best way to learn? Get out and do it, turkey hunting is one sport you won't learn to play well by watching, all because every day is different from the next. In all seriousness though, it's all worth it !!! Oh yea, scouting is almost more important than being a good caller, so practice calling at home or in the car, but leave the calls at home while scouting. Educate yourself, not the birds.

Take care