Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I Gota Problem

Old 01-26-2005, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I Gota Problem

ORIGINAL: Adrian J Hare

Heres what happens when ya wash your camo in Tide .......

WOW.... liguid or powder!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL!!!!!Good one BT & Rem!!!!I agree!!Keep your movement to a minimum and know WHEN to move thats the key!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 09:09 AM

Does flourescent orange "glow" to a deer? It sure looks bright to me.

Hal
Old 01-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Adrian.....Anyone can kill gobblers when they are fenced in. J/K Man. Nice trophies.Congrats.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I think the UV thing is blown a little out of proportion to its importance, but there is a procuct that you can spray on your clothes and kill the UV glow (Supposedly). It is called U-V-Killer made by Sno-Seal. Should be able to pick it up at Wally-World or a local sports shop.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:31 PM

Dude get a grip your making this whole turkey/deer hunting thing a little harder than it has to be

It's also what happens when you hunt good property
Old 01-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

RR , I may need them to sponcer me because at times the camo will stand up by them selves ...

Guys , I didn't put the pic's up to blow the wind believe me ,, I wash my camo in Power soap. The only thing that I can see the difference in is the smell of the soap.

One time I was in a bear stand right after the new wife washed my Camo , and when I got home she she understood what I was talking about the smell of soap was so bad, she could smell it too. she never did that again after seeing was believing.

As far as Orange , I shot a deer this fall standing in a field and watched the deer run from 300 yards away and right up to me. I don't believe they can see the colour either...BT
Old 01-27-2005, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

In short reply...

We (humans/primates) possess trichromatic vision.

Deer (and most other mammals) possess dichromatic vision. They see in shades of gray, black & white, and see mostly blues and yellows. Dr. Karl Miller and some colleagues published a nice paper on deer vision, and presented it at the annual SE meeting a number of years ago. The deer can see lower wavelengths, and in essence can "detect" UV. However, orange and red merely appear yellow to a deer. So, a bright flourescent orange coat will look like a giant lemon to a deer---but standing in a pale yellow cornfield---he probably won't notice the difference. 20 feet up a tree with a B&W, blue background---yeah, he's gonna notice that giant lemon in an oak tree that drops turd sized acorns.

Now, as for turkeys. I have never seen anything published about turkeys seeing into the UV field. They do have, from a few papers I have perused, quadchromatic vision. This is made possible by 1) their optic nerve occupies approximately 75% of their brain power, and 2) they have extra sensitive conical oils in the eye/lens which allows them to see in greater color contrast. Makes sense when you consider what a bird eats---they have to be able to detect in an instant whether caterpillar A or caterpillar B is toxic, dependent on a single mm speck of red on its butt...

As an FYI, I wash all of my camo in hydrogen peroxide, no-scent shampoo, and borax. Works great, with no smell and almost no fading. The problem with "regular" laundry detergents, is the amount of phosphates, which will eat the multiple dye pattern of camo, resulting in the dreaded "fading"...