Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 gota new deer hunting cartridge >

gota new deer hunting cartridge

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gota new deer hunting cartridge

Old 02-15-2007, 10:04 AM

Default gota new deer hunting cartridge

Hi, i just bought a .45-70 govt how much damage do yall think it do to a deer!
Old 02-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: gota new deer hunting cartridge

Actually it doesn't tear them up very bad but it will drop them in their tracks.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

It'll kill em about as dead as my .243...
Old 02-15-2007, 11:07 AM

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

It'll kill em a lot betterthan my puny .243... [&o]
Fixed itfor you.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

It'll kill em a lot betterthan my puny .243... [&o]
Fixed itfor you.
Yeah, that must have been what I meant... not.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

What kind of rifle? Its a favorite caliber of mine.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

All you need now is 50 pounds of lead(bucket of wheel weights), a pot, a mold, and about 5 pounds of black powder, a ladle would be nice, but a big spoon will due. If you do not reload, just buy one of the Lee loading tools. They are cheap to buy(I can not believe I recommended anything made by Lee). This should be enough to load about 40 boxes of shells with $100. If you have your brass.

You have probably chosen the ultimate rifle for the woods. Just fill the case with BP, take a butter knife and lop off the excess from the top of the case. Cast a bullet, shove her in the case, and shoot. Repeat-Repeat-Repeat. Sorry guys but a .243 can not compare(leave your charts at the desk, and get out and shoot).

IPSC I apologize to you, I did not mean to comment in a negative way toward your post. I just truly believe my 1886 Winchester in 45-70 is the ultimate woods rifle for all NA game, including and especially deer. Tom.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

Sorry guys but a .243 can not compare(leave your charts at the desk, and get out and shoot).
I shoot mine plenty, thank you... Haven't shot anything with it that didn't die after the first shot.

IPSC I apologize to you, I did not mean to comment in a negative way toward your post. I just truly believe my 1886 Winchester in 45-70 is the ultimate woods rifle for all NA game, including and especially deer. Tom.
No need to apologize. I was commenting on effectiveness for deer, which is all he asked. He didn't say anything about "all NA game" and he didn't limit discussion to the "woods". If you throw inelk, and other large animals OR you're limiting the range to under 100-150 yards, the .45-70 may have some minor advantages. But, on deer, especially at any distance that requires a non-rainbow-like trajectory, I'll take my .243. The .243 has more energy at 100 yards than the .45-70, and beyond 150 yards, you've pretty much got a trajectory like lobbing softballs, at least with factory loads. I don't know, maybe with handloads or something, the .45-70 shines, but the factory loads are really not "all that and a bag of chips".
Old 02-15-2007, 02:27 PM

Depending on what ammo you use they are pretty simular to a shotgun with the newer sabot loads or a magnum inline muzzle loader. There are some pretty hot loads though that would be a bit better.

A high powered rifle would be better in my opinion.

Paul
Old 02-15-2007, 05:38 PM

Well dead is pretty much dead! But the 45-70 is much more fun in my openion.

Quick Reply: gota new deer hunting cartridge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.