Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Problem with my 10/22 >

Problem with my 10/22

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Problem with my 10/22

Old 08-22-2003, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Problem with my 10/22

I have a 10/22 which i' m sure a few other ppl have on this board.[:-] I just bought some american eagle shells for it, i think there made by federal? Anyways my friends dad said they work really well out of his 10/22 but they jam up like crazy in mine. I tryed some of my friends high velocity and they worked fine. Anyways inless i got a defective box, I think my problem might be oiling the slide. Someone told me it is an aluminum reciever so i requires no oil and will not rust. So if this is an excessive oil problem then how do i get this oil off? Bore Solevent? Also if you think this is something else please inform me at what this is. Thanks-Sam
Old 08-22-2003, 10:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Problem with my 10/22

I think your biggest problem is your use of spelling, capital letters, punctuation and grammar in your post.

Most guns are kind of fickle in the ammo that they like. You have shot something that your gun doesn' t like. Try different brands.

Ammo is like girlfriends, you have to try a few in order to find one that your weapon likes.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anybody know anything? Will bore cleaner get the oil off.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anytime you have metal rubbing against metal there is friction created. Friction in the case of a bolt carrier sliding in an action is a bad thing. Oil reduces friction so thats a good thing. Just don' t overdo it because too much oil acts as a magnet for all sorts of nasty particles that will gum up your action. As far as American Eagle ammo, I have heard of it not cycling properly. Try something else.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you think the excessive oil is the problem then disassemble you gun and clean it with a good solvent. I you’ve never taken the gun apart and arrant comfortable with that, then buy a good quality solvent aerosol can with the extension tube for getting into small areas. Try Gun Scrubber from Birchwood Casey, it’s made to clean gun actions without disassembly. It’s an American product made in Minnesota....But then it could also be the ammo as Psandhu has mentioned. Good luck in your adventure.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:25 PM
Host of Hosts

It' s most likely the ammo, I had a few that cycled bad in my 10/22.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had a 10/22 that would jam on certain shells and it was the clip, I changed clips and that fixed my jamming problem.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

use some solvent and clean it all out....then LIGHTLY oil it...i seen so many guys with problems with semis because they over oil it and it all gunks up because the oil collects dirt and powder residue ect ect and gunks up...i barely oil it..just parts like the guide rails and things like that that will recieve alot of friction...i dont have a 10/22 here to see exzactly how it is..try a few diffrent brands of ammo.....maybe your gun just doesnt like them...they arent exzactly high quality ammo...ive had many of them not even go off....i quit buying that junk ammo....all i shot now is cci minimags...i usually shoot a browning buckmakr pistol....i had problems with cheap ammo not going off and not feeding.....i can get 100rds of cci minimag ammo for like...3 bux i think maybe 4.....but its still dirt cheap shooting compared to most ammo.....and it works...if you have problems with all ammos(you said you had some to shoot but just incase you find you do and your gun is very clean) id borrow mags from your buddys and see if they work any better.....ive seen alot of diffrent 10/22s and alot of diffrent mags....some guns liked some mags and others hated the same ones......they are kinda picky guns at times until you find what yours likes.....then they are one of the sweetest guns out there......ive shot many 10/22s.....i just dont own one.....i could had one.....but i went with a buckmark pistol because i have a savage semi 22 and another one is useless.......good luck....
Old 08-24-2003, 03:15 AM

my personal experience tells me that these 10/22s can be very fickle, mine only likes federal hollow points, the ones that come in a 550count " milk carton" , --jams like hell with everything else. but it' ll drive tacks with these!!!.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

The secret to a good shooting 10 /22 is you should only use copper plated bullets.That way lead doesn' t build up and cause the action to not close properly,resulting in the jamming problem.

Quick Reply: Problem with my 10/22

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.