Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I Gota Problem

Old 01-23-2005, 06:30 PM

Default I Gota Problem

My dad washed my camo in the washer after I explained never to do so I'll wash it..but he did. The detergent Im pretty sure contains UV brighteners. [:'(] Now from what I have read is turkeys can see you more easily from the UV brighteners. What can I do to rid of this? I cant afford new camo right now cause saving up to go to Wyoming turkey hunting.
Thanks Cory.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:24 PM

Default RE: I Gota Problem

Wash it in Sport Wash. That should take care of it.....Dad was just trying to help, all will be well.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:39 PM
JW
Super Moderator

as said wash it again.

However - I have mine washed numerous times and it really doesn't matter. Been using the same set for years. Now if turkeys could smell....well I would probably neverr kill one!

Turkeys and UV - new one on me. Never even heard of that. Maybe somoeone can post a link showing the report or data.

Scintigic minds gotta know.

JW!
Old 01-23-2005, 09:55 PM

WHAT ARE ULTRAVIOLET BRIGHTENERS

They are called Blueing, Brightening dye, Optical Brightener, FWA (Fluorescent Whitening Agents), Color Safe Bleach, and Laundry Enhancers. They are actually a UV Dye used to collect energy from a wide range of Ultraviolet and short blue wavelengths and reradiate that energy in a powerful peak at about 440 nanometers. (See graph on inside front cover.) Notice that 440 nm. light is almost invisible to humans while near maximum sensitivity of the deer.

There are about 200 compounds used and most are permanent. Fabrics like the poly/cotton blends, commonly used in camo, are almost always pre-brightened when manufactured. This is because the printing and colors will be brighter and more attractive if applied to bright fabric. Because it is easier and cheaper to brighten clothes than to clean them, all detergents (except Sport-Wash) contain Ultraviolet brighteners. Many water repellents especially factory-applied polymer types are applied with extenders that function as brighteners.

Deer are much more sensitive than humans to the shorter wavelengths of light. They have a blue cone with peak sensitivity at 455-nm, just 15 nm from the 440-nm peak of spectral power caused by the UV brighteners. This is earth shaking news to a 2 legged predator that can’t imagine the brightness of light he barely sees. This 440-nm light is seen as bright blue by the dichromatic eye of the deer. It occurs on garments of any color from camo to blaze orange if UV brighteners are present. In very low light the deer, like a human, switches to rod (black, white, and gray) vision and the 440 nm light caused by the UV brighteners is seen by the deer as a bright white.

Game animals quickly learn to respond to the glow of brighteners just as they would to the smell or sound of the hunter. If it glows, it’s a human; and the bigger the buck, the less chance you have of seeing him if you glow.

I have often observed that northern guides were very successful in stalking game animals. The one thing they all had in common was the wearing of woolen garments in plaids, browns and greens. They blended into the background because natural wool does not contain UV brighteners and therefore does not respond to UV light. Wash your Wool garments in Sport-Wash or have them dry cleaned. (Woolite® now contains UV brighteners and must be avoided like all commercial detergents, softeners, and color safe bleach.)

You can observe, for yourself, the effect of UV brighteners on your own camo, if you have access to a fluorescent UV light. Simply hold your camo under the light and see if it glows. If it does, spray it with U-V-KILLER and watch the UV brightness disappear. This is not magic, it’s technically simple, you are covering the brightening dye with a blocking dye, and if you have a UV light, you can watch it happen. You can buy a 350 BLB Fluorescent Light from Atsko or most home center stores. You can practice viewing different samples of white paper and cloth. Placing a drop of U-V-KILLER on a swatch that glows will immediately darken it. Now observe this spot under ordinary light and you begin to understand how little we see of the brightener effect. Deer by contrast, are perfectly designed to see the effect of UV brighteners without the aid of an artificial light source.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:53 AM

Fabrics like the poly/cotton blends, commonly used in camo, are almost always pre-brightened when manufactured.
according to an interview with Bill Jordan, from Spartan-Realtree and Jim Crumley, from Trebark fabrics there are no optical brightners in any of the ink dyes or fabrics used in their clothing at all. including all cotton/poly blends.

also another interview with John Coulbourn, President of Coulbourn Instruments/Megabucks Trophy Nutritional Products, who holds a degree in Behavioral Psycology and Zoology who has completed extensive studies regarding vision in animals. states "Mammals (in fact, most vertebrates) which have color sensitivity are similar to humans; and any deviations from our green centered sensitivity tend to be to the far red, the opposite end of the spectrum from violet."

there is no viable and conclusive evidence that deer or any other mammal react to ultra violet light reflected from camo clothing and its effect on hunting. many researchers and scientist say that animals eyes react to movement not color when fleeing from a predator.

from my experience i have never used any detergent to take away the ultrviolet brightners,i have just to take away scent. i have seen and harvested many deer in the last 20 years and never had a problem with my camo.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would not worry about it, This brightner thing is gone way over board. I always wash my camo in the washer , with a Nonscented soap like Tide and have never yet had the eye balls jump out of any deer or Turkey and have killed a couple of both over the years . No to worry , you'll be as good as you always have been...BT
Old 01-24-2005, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

makes one wonder how the old-timers ever killed anything at all w/o camo......don't it........
I;m with AJH... it's just blowin' smoke to get you to spend $$.,....
Old 01-24-2005, 11:01 PM

i agree with ajh and rem1100 , dont spend time worrying spend it hunting you will have much better luck that way. good luck
Old 01-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heres what happens when ya wash your camo in Tide .......

Old 01-25-2005, 09:41 PM

very nice

Quick Reply: I Gota Problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.