Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Your Season  and the Weather ? >

Your Season and the Weather ?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Your Season and the Weather ?

Old 05-30-2004, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Your Season and the Weather ?

I was just interested in what or how everyones weather has been throughout this spring. Here in Ontario the weather has been totally different from other years in the past. I've noticed it Very Cold and Wet here and the birds have not worked the same as seasons past. Gobbling activity has been down and noticed it real bad if a Cold front moved into the area.

Yesterday sitting in the Blind I had 2 coats on over top of each other to try and stay warmer as I sat, and I still got cold. Frost has been on the ground 75% of the mornings out. This morning it was so thick that it looked like snow !

I noticed that I had to change my Calling habits this spring from other seasons, to work birds and believe my % rate has slide a little due to days that a cold front would move in and the woods were silent. Its hard to work birds if you hear No Gobbling or don't see any birds out in Fields or openings to work them. The onlt way of hunting on these type of Mornings that I could see is setup on places the birds tend to visit and wait them out. I guess over all I have not did real bad , but sure have been disappointed in the season.

Have you seen a change in the hunting or weather in your State or Area ? ...BT
Old 05-30-2004, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your Season and the Weather ?

Here it was real wet.I think the hens bred and nested later than usual.The gobblin activity was slow here too.Like you I had to change my callin strategy.I normally like to really hammer at the birds but this year it was the soft stuff that seemed to work.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:42 AM

Default The 4 Days I hunted

We had a lot of rain and wind in Michigan. It took me 3 days to have a tom really interested in me. Most would answer, but wouldn't leave the hens. The bird I got wasn't the biggest, but had a nice 6" beard and weighed 21lbs. spurs were around 3/4" long.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: The 4 Days I hunted

It was the best turkey season weather I've ever had. Not to hot and almost no rain. That held off the green-up until late in the season. The turkeys tend to move off my lease when things get green. Also there is better nesting areas on the adjacent properties.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:30 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: The 4 Days I hunted

Oklahoma
First time I hunted there. But I thought it was rather normal for the beginning of April. Worked birds each day one in run and gun and the other we just waited out.

Michigan -
Weather was crap.......Big Toms where henned but where alone after 10 if you could find them. Trip was cut short due to family illness. Went back for last season with my duaghter and could not beleive the woods where so silent. We had good weather but we did not see more than 2 hens the first day and did have one gobble the second. It was extremely unusual.

Wisconsin...
Again the weather was crap. Lots of fog and rain. I could locate Toms and most seemed to get more vocal after the close of the season for the day. Was extremely unusual.

But in each area we scored because we got lucky. More so from scouting that knowing birds use the area from time to time. Wasn't so much our calling techniques but I chalk it to scouting and patterning birds. I say this year was more of wait and ambush.

JW
Old 05-30-2004, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Adrian, The begining was great, Especially the youth hunt on April 24th. Four out of five hunters got longbeards with River Valley Outfitters. Nice weather early but got worse around the end of second week and begining of third. Rain, Fog and thunderstorms put the end to a lot of gobbling. It got pretty hot here also. Even in the begining it was tough to get them in as they where with hens a lot.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:00 AM

Here, in WA. It was a little different, usually the early season is a little on the wet side, but we actually had a pleasasnt spring. I think the only rain I encountered was on the last day, and it wasn't even enough to wear anything more than my vest to keep warm. We had a rainy period right before to kick the "green up" a little early, but where I hunt it's fairly open so that doesn't affect me too much.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:30 AM

Two other guys already mentioned the weather in PA. I agree with everything they said.

After the 1st week, it turned very hot/muggy very early in the morning. By the 2nd/3rd week of the season we had a thunder/lightning storm almost every morning. It was very hard to get out before work due to the weather. We had tons of rain this spring.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Connecticut, the weather was horrid...felt more like Florida than New England. Other than the first 3 days, the temp didn't drop below 46, and mostly stayed above 50 all night. Had heavy dew & fog almost every morning...

Birds here also acted very odd, only responded the entire season to slow rhythmic cadence, very soft in tone. Not only that, but they stayed on the roost an average of 1.5-2 hours after sunrise---in areas that in years past I had to beg them to stay on the roost till sunrise.

Overall, although I passed up some shots and multiple jakes, a good season. Was able to work many beards, although I never squeezed the trigger.

Central New York was horrible. Talked to many friends, and nobody connected after the second day. Gobbling was at an all-time minimum, throughout the day. Numbers were way down, and the culprits seem to be overhunting, predation (mostly coyotes) and blackhead disease. Doesn't look good...
Old 06-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

my season stunk we only heard 3 or 4 birds gobble all season didnt even get a shot ,never even seen one it rained here alot too